Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward S244T Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Hayward S244T Sand Filter

Been lurking around local Craigslist looking for a Hayward Sand Filter, ran across one for less than $100, guy says he switched from Sand to DE. it is 5-6 years old, anything I should be leery of when going after this?

Things to look at? I know I can get replacement parts locally if need be.

Thoughts?

Dave Graham
    6,000 Gallon 16' x 4' Intex Round Ultra Frame
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward S244T Sand Filter

Ask if it was moved with sand in it? How they removed the sand?
    Assuming it is empty, examine all the laterals inside as they are easy to damage if they man-handled it.

Does it come with a backwash or multi-valve as well?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

yes it has the Multi-valve on it. I will inquire with the owner if it still retains sand. he did indicate it would need the 300# to make it work, so I assume it would be empty.
    Dave Graham
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

One more dumb question on this topic (sort of) all the plumbing for it. should I run 2" SCH 40 or 1.5" SCH 40?
    Dave Graham

5. Back To Top    #5

Usually better to use 2" on the equipment pad due to all the turn fittings that add head loss and lower flow rate. Although at lower flow rates with a small pump, it likely does not make much difference at all.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

when you talk about the flow rates, with my little 6k pool. with the 1.5hp pump I would be better doing 2" and reduce down to 1.5 when needed?
    Dave Graham

7. Back To Top    #7

I was thinking a 1.5HP pump on a little pool ... flow rate does not matter (you will have PLENTY) and likely 1.5" is enough.

My 18k pool only had a single 1.5" suction and return line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok gave up on the dweeb from Craigslist. I tried to contact him late Friday evening and no answers. contacted him Saturday he said he would get back to me, told him when i talked to him at lunch on Friday that I was interested in his sand filter. he got back to me late afternoon Saturday and stated he had a guy come by that morning and he had sold it.

Oh well, I just got the 244 from Amazon for like $289 and some change + tax made it short of $300. not bad for a $500+ sand filter.

It holds 300# of sand. One question, once I get this thing filled up, how do I move it, could I put it on a 2 wheel cart and shuttle it around?

Plus now with that guy from Craigslist, he works in the pool industry, since he sold the one I was looking for, he said he had a newer version. Now I am starting to think, that maybe some of his customers switched out/upgraded and he had the old filters and was selling them for his own good.
    Dave Graham

9. Back To Top    #9

You should not move it once it has sand in it or you are asking for the delicate internal components to break.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

ok, since I don't see me rotating my pool this year/season throw the sand into it and utilize the beauty of Hayward products

I should have just went this route to begin with, got the 1 year warranty from Hayward, and if it has any issues just contact them. oh btw the guy said on the 'newer' filter, he would have to get some parts for it. so I am so done with him.
    Dave Graham

11. Back To Top    #11

ok new filter came in yesterday, talk about quick service, estimated delivery date was next week. I am going to start plumbing it in the next couple of days and get this thing running. was a little bit bigger than what I expected, but this is a great thing. Which means my surface area in the filter will keep me from having to do backwashes for my pool..

Thanks TFP for the help.

Dave Graham

12. Back To Top    #12

Greetings again to my friends of TFP. Just installed the S244 and wow, what a difference. after loading her up with the 300# of sand, and doing the 2 minute rinse, she is as clear as can be and filtering now. 'Clean' pressure is 12psi so when I hit 22psi time to backwash. Now I am wondering why I didn't get one last year. Thanks to everyone here at TFP for helping. I will post pictures this weekend.

Yes I couldn't wait to hook this bad-boy up! glad i did.

Regards and happy pool season to all

Dave

Dave Graham

13. Back To Top    #13

Hold on there big fella ....

We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Waiting for 10 psi rise is WAY too long.
    So, you should be cleaning around 15 psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

ah, will do that. I know the papers with the filter said 8-10psi rise. but you say 15 psi, and my clean is 12psi. will follow guidance from the group
    Dave Graham