Circupool SI 45 vertical assembly and ready to install

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
So I put together this and hope it helps anyone who might be a little handy, its not a huge savings from the one offered at discountsaltpools.com, I just wanted to get my feet wet with plumbing as I have ZERO experience doing anything aside from installing my pool pump.

Anyhow, using the 15$ mitre saw and box from home depot, I got the following parts for my 1-1/2in piping

I havent installed this yet mind you, just waiting for the rain to go away (insert childrens rain song)

1x 1-1/2in small piece of precut PVC pipe, its about 2 ft long +/- <--- This was like $3
1x 2in small piece of precut PVC pip, its also about 2ft long <--- This was like $4.50
3x 1-1/2in 90degree schedule 40 elbows http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...-Degree-Slip-X-Slip-Elbow-406-015HC/100044573 - $4.68

1x 2in 90degree scheudle 40 elbow -http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-2-in-PVC-Schedule-40-90-Degree-Slip-x-Slip-Elbow-406-020HC/100131664 $2.26 <---This was specific for my install, this connected directly to my multivalve. This may not apply to you

3x 1-1/2in x 2in PVC pipe increaser http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-1-1-2-in-x-2-in-PVC-Pipe-Increaser-05948H/204840949 - $3.87

Total $18.31, Like I said, only saves you like 10 bucks or so, so its not a big savings, however, it does let me buy 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine from walmart :D

Here is the final product, I will install it as soon as the rain gods let down a little

Here is the one that discountsaltpools.com sells, I only know of one person that bought it, I cant say one way or another how good it is. It is very convenient though and if I had more plumbing experience I probably would have just bought this kit:

http://discountsaltpool.3dcartstores.com/CircuPool-Si-Vertical-Installation-Kit_p_112.html

Is that at least 12" of straight pipe in front of the flow sensor? (assuming it is the same as the Hayward manual shows).

Also, there should not have been a need for the short 2" pieces of pipe on the flow sensor. A 1.5" / 2" bushing should have fit right inside the 2" fitting of the sensor. Same on the bottom right.

I spoke to discountsaltpool.com and they said the 12" isn't mandatory but more of a guideline if you look at the one they sell, it actually has less length then mine hehe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I would argue, why not move the flow sensor up some and following the manual and avoid any possibility of the flow sensor having a problem.

BTW, looks like pretty good work for a first time :goodjob:

It's too late I've already used cement to both ends of the flow sensor. If it does act strange I'll adjust it. In fact I'll send this pic to discountsaltpool.com s to get their blessing

Hey man its all good. I very much want your honest feedback then "go with the flow" (hehe see what I did there?) without giving me some pause. As a newbie I need this. Your wisdom is very much welcome!

I've asked the same question to the tech guys at discountsaltpool.com and they say it would be ideal for it to be linear but they have a lot of folks who like the compact configuration of the vertical setup and have very few issues

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should not matter. In fact the above ground version of the Hayward (which is the same cell) mounts vertically at a return. The only "risk" you have is that gases from the cell could accumulate in the top of the loop if your flow rate is not high enough.

So I put together this and hope it helps anyone who might be a little handy, its not a huge savings from the one offered at discountsaltpools.com, I just wanted to get my feet wet with plumbing as I have ZERO experience doing anything aside from installing my pool pump.

Anyhow, using the 15$ mitre saw and box from home depot, I got the following parts for my 1-1/2in piping

I havent installed this yet mind you, just waiting for the rain to go away (insert childrens rain song)

1x 1-1/2in small piece of precut PVC pipe, its about 2 ft long +/- <--- This was like $3
1x 2in small piece of precut PVC pip, its also about 2ft long <--- This was like $4.50
3x 1-1/2in 90degree schedule 40 elbows http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...-Degree-Slip-X-Slip-Elbow-406-015HC/100044573 - $4.68

1x 2in 90degree scheudle 40 elbow -http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-2-in-PVC-Schedule-40-90-Degree-Slip-x-Slip-Elbow-406-020HC/100131664 $2.26 <---This was specific for my install, this connected directly to my multivalve. This may not apply to you

3x 1-1/2in x 2in PVC pipe increaser http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-1-1-2-in-x-2-in-PVC-Pipe-Increaser-05948H/204840949 - $3.87

Total $18.31, Like I said, only saves you like 10 bucks or so, so its not a big savings, however, it does let me buy 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine from walmart :D

Here is the final product, I will install it as soon as the rain gods let down a little

Here is the one that discountsaltpools.com sells, I only know of one person that bought it, I cant say one way or another how good it is. It is very convenient though and if I had more plumbing experience I probably would have just bought this kit:

http://discountsaltpool.3dcartstores.com/CircuPool-Si-Vertical-Installation-Kit_p_112.html

1 or the other is going to wrong direction the flow should be going from the wire end of the cell and the flow sensor needs to be in the same direction. the way you have it, either the cell is the wrong direction or the flow sensor is. You should have put it together first and asked the question before gluing it. If the flow is from the pump thru the flow sensor and then through the cell, just turn the cell around and you'll be OK. however if you need to set up thru the cell first then the flow sensor you've got a problem If your inked arrow is correct.

I don't see anything in the manual saying that the cell has a preferred flow direction. The diagrams showing appropriate flow switch locations actually shows the cell installed both ways. Likewise, most other brands don't care which direction water flows through the cell.

I see what you mean Jason. All the diagrams but #3 show the flow going backward from from what I was thinking. But the next question is what direction is the flow? cell first then flow switch, or vice versa? I ask that because reading Brian's description of slipXslip that's connected to his multiport valve. The valves shown in the diagrams of the manual are only to separate the water flow to pool or spa. I don't believe that's the same as what a multiport does--ie backwash waste rinse? Wouldn't want to use the cell for backwashing or to waste would we? And if in fact the flow is thru the cell first, then the flow switch is in the wrong direction regardless of the cell connection.

Going through the flow switch first and then the cell is just fine, as is going through the cell first and then the flow switch. From there it is a question of where in the plumbing this entire sub-assembly is installed. If I remember rarenomad's setup from previous topics, he had identified the correct location for the SWG and it is simply a question of mounting the sub-assembly so that water flow matches the arrow on the flow switch. Of course I might be remembering someone else's plumbing, though I believe I remember correctly.

The cell should be installed after all of the other equipment, after multipart, filter, and heater, on a line that only goes to the pool (and not spa waterfall etc). That way the cell is not active when in backwash, or spa, or waterfall.

Ok I made some adjustments so that there is > 12 in before the flow switch (it bugged me too much and I wanted to stay compliant to the manufacturer) :)

The way the tech at discountsaltpool.com explained it is that the flow switch detected if it had enough flow. If it didn't then it wouldn't turn on the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.