Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circupool SI 45 vertical assembly and ready to install

1. Back To Top    #1

Circupool SI 45 vertical assembly and ready to install

So I put together this and hope it helps anyone who might be a little handy, its not a huge savings from the one offered at discountsaltpools.com, I just wanted to get my feet wet with plumbing as I have ZERO experience doing anything aside from installing my pool pump.

Anyhow, using the 15$ mitre saw and box from home depot, I got the following parts for my 1-1/2in piping

I havent installed this yet mind you, just waiting for the rain to go away (insert childrens rain song)

1x 1-1/2in small piece of precut PVC pipe, its about 2 ft long +/- <--- This was like $3
    1x 2in small piece of precut PVC pip, its also about 2ft long <--- This was like $4.50
    3x 1-1/2in 90degree schedule 40 elbows http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573 - $4.68

1x 2in 90degree scheudle 40 elbow -http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-2-in-PVC-Schedule-40-90-Degree-Slip-x-Slip-Elbow-406-020HC/100131664 $2.26 <---This was specific for my install, this connected directly to my multivalve. This may not apply to you

3x 1-1/2in x 2in PVC pipe increaser http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...948H/204840949 - $3.87

Total $18.31, Like I said, only saves you like 10 bucks or so, so its not a big savings, however, it does let me buy 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine from walmart

Here is the final product, I will install it as soon as the rain gods let down a little

Here is the one that discountsaltpools.com sells, I only know of one person that bought it, I cant say one way or another how good it is. It is very convenient though and if I had more plumbing experience I probably would have just bought this kit:

http://discountsaltpool.3dcartstores...Kit_p_112.html
    Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Removed -> Hayward 1HP Super pump SP-1607-Z1-M

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Circupool SI 45 vertical assembly and ready to install

Is that at least 12" of straight pipe in front of the flow sensor? (assuming it is the same as the Hayward manual shows).

Also, there should not have been a need for the short 2" pieces of pipe on the flow sensor. A 1.5" / 2" bushing should have fit right inside the 2" fitting of the sensor. Same on the bottom right.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I spoke to discountsaltpool.com and they said the 12" isn't mandatory but more of a guideline if you look at the one they sell, it actually has less length then mine hehe

Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would argue, why not move the flow sensor up some and following the manual and avoid any possibility of the flow sensor having a problem.

BTW, looks like pretty good work for a first time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It's too late I've already used cement to both ends of the flow sensor. If it does act strange I'll adjust it. In fact I'll send this pic to discountsaltpool.com s to get their blessing

6. Back To Top    #6

Just got off the phone with John@discountsaltpools.com and they insist that not having 12" before the flow switch is not a problem.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I guess they are more confident than Hayward for the same sensor. {I do agree that 12" is likely overkill though}
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey man its all good. I very much want your honest feedback then "go with the flow" (hehe see what I did there?) without giving me some pause. As a newbie I need this. Your wisdom is very much welcome!

9. Back To Top    #9

Are there any other considerations you have to take into account when installing the cell vertically? Any disadvantages? I think it would be a lot more efficient for my installation if I went vertical.

10. Back To Top    #10

I've asked the same question to the tech guys at discountsaltpool.com and they say it would be ideal for it to be linear but they have a lot of folks who like the compact configuration of the vertical setup and have very few issues

11. Back To Top    #11

It should not matter. In fact the above ground version of the Hayward (which is the same cell) mounts vertically at a return. The only "risk" you have is that gases from the cell could accumulate in the top of the loop if your flow rate is not high enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by rarenomad View Post
    So I put together this and hope it helps anyone who might be a little handy, its not a huge savings from the one offered at discountsaltpools.com, I just wanted to get my feet wet with plumbing as I have ZERO experience doing anything aside from installing my pool pump.

Anyhow, using the 15$ mitre saw and box from home depot, I got the following parts for my 1-1/2in piping

I havent installed this yet mind you, just waiting for the rain to go away (insert childrens rain song)

1x 1-1/2in small piece of precut PVC pipe, its about 2 ft long +/- <--- This was like $3
    1x 2in small piece of precut PVC pip, its also about 2ft long <--- This was like $4.50
    3x 1-1/2in 90degree schedule 40 elbows http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573 - $4.68

1x 2in 90degree scheudle 40 elbow -http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-2-in-PVC-Schedule-40-90-Degree-Slip-x-Slip-Elbow-406-020HC/100131664 $2.26 <---This was specific for my install, this connected directly to my multivalve. This may not apply to you

3x 1-1/2in x 2in PVC pipe increaser http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...948H/204840949 - $3.87

Total $18.31, Like I said, only saves you like 10 bucks or so, so its not a big savings, however, it does let me buy 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine from walmart

Here is the final product, I will install it as soon as the rain gods let down a little

Here is the one that discountsaltpools.com sells, I only know of one person that bought it, I cant say one way or another how good it is. It is very convenient though and if I had more plumbing experience I probably would have just bought this kit:

http://discountsaltpool.3dcartstores...Kit_p_112.html
    1 or the other is going to wrong direction the flow should be going from the wire end of the cell and the flow sensor needs to be in the same direction. the way you have it, either the cell is the wrong direction or the flow sensor is. You should have put it together first and asked the question before gluing it. If the flow is from the pump thru the flow sensor and then through the cell, just turn the cell around and you'll be OK. however if you need to set up thru the cell first then the flow sensor you've got a problem If your inked arrow is correct.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't see anything in the manual saying that the cell has a preferred flow direction. The diagrams showing appropriate flow switch locations actually shows the cell installed both ways. Likewise, most other brands don't care which direction water flows through the cell.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I see what you mean Jason. All the diagrams but #3 show the flow going backward from from what I was thinking. But the next question is what direction is the flow? cell first then flow switch, or vice versa? I ask that because reading Brian's description of slipXslip that's connected to his multiport valve. The valves shown in the diagrams of the manual are only to separate the water flow to pool or spa. I don't believe that's the same as what a multiport does--ie backwash waste rinse? Wouldn't want to use the cell for backwashing or to waste would we? And if in fact the flow is thru the cell first, then the flow switch is in the wrong direction regardless of the cell connection.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Going through the flow switch first and then the cell is just fine, as is going through the cell first and then the flow switch. From there it is a question of where in the plumbing this entire sub-assembly is installed. If I remember rarenomad's setup from previous topics, he had identified the correct location for the SWG and it is simply a question of mounting the sub-assembly so that water flow matches the arrow on the flow switch. Of course I might be remembering someone else's plumbing, though I believe I remember correctly.

The cell should be installed after all of the other equipment, after multipart, filter, and heater, on a line that only goes to the pool (and not spa waterfall etc). That way the cell is not active when in backwash, or spa, or waterfall.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Exactly!!! But, that is my question, which end of the setup as shown is where the flow starts in the setup?

17. Back To Top    #17

It goes in the flow switch first. See this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...114#post614114
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok I made some adjustments so that there is > 12 in before the flow switch (it bugged me too much and I wanted to stay compliant to the manufacturer)

19. Back To Top    #19

The way the tech at discountsaltpool.com explained it is that the flow switch detected if it had enough flow. If it didn't then it wouldn't turn on the cell.

20. Back To Top    #20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast