CYA Level...

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Went ahead and opened pool, water temp is hovering 58-60 degrees, as i said in earlier post, its crystal clear.

uncovered, got pump going, topped pool off and ran pump for about 4 hours, enough to flip pool ~1.5 times.

Sat overnight, just got through testing:

CYA - 35ppm
FC - 8 ppm
CC - 0
pH - 7.7
TA - 90
CH - 170

according to pool calculator set to TFP recommended goals, I should be between 30 and 50 on CYA

Last year I was wayyy high at 80 and I just let it be and used more chlorine.

now this year im on the lower end of the spectrum at 35.

its it better to be closer to 30 or 50?

or should I just leave it alone?

The CYA level look s good to me. Some would say that you may want it a wee bit higher if you pool gets a lot of direct sun.

Looks like 2 H per day (based on your signature) gets you almost a full turnover ... should be fine.

You should only wait for the water to warm up for the CYA test ... the pH and chlorine will change from sitting like that, so they may not be correct.

I would leave the CYA where it is and see how it goes, if you are having to add more than 2-3ppm of chlorine every day, then raise the CYA a bit to better protect it from the sun.

You should only wait for the water to warm up for the CYA test ... the pH and chlorine will change from sitting like that, so they may not be correct.

I would leave the CYA where it is and see how it goes, if you are having to add more than 2-3ppm of chlorine every day, then raise the CYA a bit to better protect it from the sun.

thanks. what temp is ideal for cya test?

and this pool is in direct sun all day long

How much sun does your pool receive ? I like to have CYA at 40 ppm. It's kinda middle of the road if you need more protection from the sun you can always go to 50 ppm
I think you should be able to get away with 2 hrs of run time until you start using the pool. Will it be covered during this time ? ?

Room temp say 70+ When the water is cold the reaction takes longer. You could test with the cold water, but would have to wait more than a minute to hope the reaction was complete or you might get a lower reading than reality.

How much sun does your pool receive ? I like to have CYA at 40 ppm. It's kinda middle of the road if you need more protection from the sun you can always go to 50 ppm
I think you should be able to get away with 2 hrs of run time until you start using the pool. Will it be covered during this time ? ��

sun all day. no it wont be covered during that time

Room temp say 70+ When the water is cold the reaction takes longer. You could test with the cold water, but would have to wait more than a minute to hope the reaction was complete or you might get a lower reading than reality.

i let it sit for a minute after I added the solution to the dot tube. but in light of the low temps, ill test again in 3-4 weeks. this was my last CYA test too so time to order some new reagents.... need some more DPD powder too...

- - - Updated - - -

thanks fellas!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.