Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Level...

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Level...

Went ahead and opened pool, water temp is hovering 58-60 degrees, as i said in earlier post, its crystal clear.

uncovered, got pump going, topped pool off and ran pump for about 4 hours, enough to flip pool ~1.5 times.

Sat overnight, just got through testing:

CYA - 35ppm
    FC - 8 ppm
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.7
    TA - 90
    CH - 170

according to pool calculator set to TFP recommended goals, I should be between 30 and 50 on CYA

Last year I was wayyy high at 80 and I just let it be and used more chlorine.

now this year im on the lower end of the spectrum at 35.

its it better to be closer to 30 or 50?

or should I just leave it alone?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Level...

secondary question, we wont be using this pool for probably 6 weeks.. (mid May) due to temps.

with no bather load and cool temps, will running pump 2 hours a day be sufficient until we start using it?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

3. Back To Top    #3

The CYA level look s good to me. Some would say that you may want it a wee bit higher if you pool gets a lot of direct sun.

Looks like 2 H per day (based on your signature) gets you almost a full turnover ... should be fine.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You should only wait for the water to warm up for the CYA test ... the pH and chlorine will change from sitting like that, so they may not be correct.

I would leave the CYA where it is and see how it goes, if you are having to add more than 2-3ppm of chlorine every day, then raise the CYA a bit to better protect it from the sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You should only wait for the water to warm up for the CYA test ... the pH and chlorine will change from sitting like that, so they may not be correct.

I would leave the CYA where it is and see how it goes, if you are having to add more than 2-3ppm of chlorine every day, then raise the CYA a bit to better protect it from the sun.
    thanks. what temp is ideal for cya test?

and this pool is in direct sun all day long

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA Level...

How much sun does your pool receive ? I like to have CYA at 40 ppm. It's kinda middle of the road if you need more protection from the sun you can always go to 50 ppm
    I think you should be able to get away with 2 hrs of run time until you start using the pool. Will it be covered during this time ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Room temp say 70+ When the water is cold the reaction takes longer. You could test with the cold water, but would have to wait more than a minute to hope the reaction was complete or you might get a lower reading than reality.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    How much sun does your pool receive ? I like to have CYA at 40 ppm. It's kinda middle of the road if you need more protection from the sun you can always go to 50 ppm
    I think you should be able to get away with 2 hrs of run time until you start using the pool. Will it be covered during this time ? ��
    sun all day. no it wont be covered during that time

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA Level...

If you get sun all day you might want to be at 40 ppm CYA. Wait and see how much FC you lose.
    You'll still be good for your pump run time. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Room temp say 70+ When the water is cold the reaction takes longer. You could test with the cold water, but would have to wait more than a minute to hope the reaction was complete or you might get a lower reading than reality.
    i let it sit for a minute after I added the solution to the dot tube. but in light of the low temps, ill test again in 3-4 weeks. this was my last CYA test too so time to order some new reagents.... need some more DPD powder too...

- - - Updated - - -

thanks fellas!

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, you just missed the tftestkits.net refill sale which ended on Monday
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, you just missed the tftestkits.net refill sale which ended on Monday