Algae - SLAM (or use Shock?)

Thanks very much. I'm probably going to need to make another run for more chlorine (not sure) but Leslie's is open tomorrow. I think I'm going to be able to do this.

I'm actually surprised how fast it seems to be improving. I can see the debris on the deep end now (where the dead leaves are still there). And the shallow end actually has a large area that is starting to look bluish - the liner is showing a bit.

Taking a break from brushing - maybe I'm making it more than it needs to be but that's a huge job. My arms ache, lol.

Does anything from SLAMing the pool make mats on top? There were few leaves (our spring-fall is hopefully almost over) but these 8" or so rounded mats of something floating on top. We have pollen (powder) right now too. I don't know what they were, but I scooped them out, and they left slimy-looking residue on the net. Just wondering if that's typical?

I really appreciate you all. I think it's going well. Will post when I test next (about half hour+) - I hope I can figure out how much chlorine I'm likely to lose before tomorrow afternoon so I can be prepared with the next trip to the pool store.

Thanks!

Maybe my pool is smaller than I estimated.

I know the outer measurements are the same, but not positive on the depths.

My FC is 39 - I hope that's not high enough to hurt anything. I am wondering if I didn't mess up somewhere??? I got 1.5 this morning from the same process, except it does say a "heaping scoop" of the R0870 powder, and perhaps I used a smaller heap this morning?

I'm guessing I don't need to add more chlorine until it drops some more. I hope that's not high enough to hurt anything. I added the amount I should have via Pool Math (maybe a few ounces more it's showing 523 oz and I could have done up to 16 oz. extra since I'm using the marks on the storage containers and not actually measuring). I would think that's negligible though.

Well ... I'll just wait another hour and test again. May run and get more chlorine anyway - I'm not sure what to do. If I don't get it within an hour and a half, I'll have to wait about 20 hours, and I only have about 3-1/2 gal. I'm thinking better safe than sorry, and I'll go get some real quick.

Your CYA level is high enough that FC up at 39 is not a problem.

When FC levels are quite high the FAS-DPD chlorine test can occasionally be tricky. At high FC levels you do need to use more R-0870 powder and you need to do the titration fairly quickly.

Your doing a great job ? Stay on top of it and keep the throttle down.
One thing I would like to mention. Do you have a light ? If you do make sure to check inside the light niche. Algae likes to hide out in there. You can check the light niche after your water clears up. I've seen this a lot on the forum. It'll stop you from passing the OCLT test or having CC of 0.5 or less to stop the SLAM process. ?

FC is 36.5

Took a little later than I expected to be able to test, it's been 3 hours this time. Dropped from 39 in a little over 3 hours.

I may test it again later tonight, but it's been dark for an hour or so. I'm guessing I won't need to add any chlorine tonight? I may just wait until tomorrow, since I'm guessing it shouldn't be worse than the decline over the past 3 hours?

I will add chlorine in the morning if I need to. We will probably be leaving in the morning and be gone for 5 hours or so, so I'll test right before and I don't know, maybe add to bring it up a little higher than I think I need just in case?

My CYA test came in anywhere between 65-80, and the 65 may be more accurate. I was aiming for an FC of about 28, so before I leave in the morning, maybe I should add as much chlorine (if needed) to bring it to about 32 or so in order to (hopefully) keep it from dropping too low?

It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow.

I don't have a light, but I'll try to pay special attention to the areas around the ladder, eyeballs, and drain? Right now there are still some pockets of leaves in the bottom, and I know that although I am trying, I'm probably not effectively brushing every spot. I can't see what I'm doing.

I'm going to use the leaf rake tomorrow afternoon, and I'm considering running some water to waste and filling - I don't know if a few inches will help to affect the CYA. And see if I can get the bottom vacuumed at all after that - there is sediment and gunk that needs to come out. And yes, weird mats, continuing to scoop. I'm guessing pollen then.

I'm getting (hopefully) quick enough at doing the test. In the beginning I had to keep referring to the directions and checking bottles, but since I'm repeating FC test over and over, I pretty much know what I'm doing with that one. I add the drops slowly but it's probably less than half a minute start to finish, and I'm doing a lot of drops right now.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

And the guy at the pool store tried to tell me more stupid stuff while I was there. I see what y'all mean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can easily do one more tonight if testing the surface water is ok. I can't easily get a foot underwater later at night?

It gets light early, I'll do a test at dawn, and then it will probably be a couple of hours before we leave, and I'll do another just before (leaving time to add chlorine if necessary). Since I think I probably will need to add chlorine in the morning, I'll aim for an FC of 32 before leaving, then hopefully it will be ok for 5 hours or so.

I think I have 10 gallons on hand now, so I shouldn't be in danger of running out soon I hope (kind of odd since I added almost 9 gal in less than 24 hours, but it seems to drop slower now.).

Thanks again. :)

Just make sure you're getting a ...."full"....... drop. Don't squeeze the bottle any more than to just make it finally fall or rush it.

I'll pay attention to that. The last time I was aware that I needed to maybe do it quickly, so I may have squeezed the bottle a bit more - I don't think so, but it's possible. That would mean bigger, fewer drops, so my FC would be lower ... yeah I will check tonight again to be safe, and I'll be careful to get full-sized drops.

Thanks for that warning.

I think I may have gotten a higher than actual FC last time. I'm glad I tested it again - a little past midnight, LOL.

FC was 29.5 Still good, but it would have been too low by morning. I hope it's ok, I added just over 1.25 gal, which should raise it back to 37, so hopefully it should be fine until I wake up (probably not at dawn now).

I should still be able to test maybe twice before I leave in the morning.

I will feel better when I can better estimate the rate of chlorine level dropping, for when I have to leave.

Seems to be going well though. This is really not as bad as it sounded when I read over it before starting. :) Thanks SO much for all the help!

31.5 and added just under 1 gal (7/8)

only time for one test, but I won't be gone as long.

Water is mostly a nice light bluish green - no longer dark green with blackish areas - quite cloudy, but I expected that (dead algae?)

coming along well I think.

Thanks so much everyone! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.