Thanks again everyone, I came here last fall after moving in, but just after I got the info of what to do with the pool, I got seriously ill and didn't do anything. I wasn't better until February, so now the temps are slowly getting higher and I need to get things in order.
Two months of neglect put the pool in bad condition. I've been skimming and scooping daily, and had it fairly cleared except there is some sediment on the bottom I can't get out. When the temps got warm and with a few rains, it started to green, and now it's VERY GREEN. It's been that way about a week. I finally figured out that our old liquid chlorine must just be simply dead.
Test results are this:
TA - 40
CYA about 75 or 80 (not good at this yet)
No readable chlorine at all
Pool is roughly maybe 18K
vinyl liner and DE filter (that may be wrong in my sig), inground chlorine pool
I'm reading Pool School and using the calculator and a little confused. I'm guessing I'm supposed to add 341 oz. of 10.5% bleach (I have on hand 640 oz.)
While I was at the pool store, I was told (and I know I probably shouldn't listen, but it's a good drive, and he sounded convincing) - he said I could use shock powder (73% calcium hypochlorite) and put in a little over a pound (maybe 2), wait a day, put in the same amount again, and it would be done. I probably shouldn't believe it's that simple, but the store is a good drive and it was sounding cheaper and easier, so I bought 2 pounds.
He said it would be more stable, and that it would diffuse better in the water (which makes no sense to me). Cost was the same though so I thought maybe he was telling me the truth (1 pound shock is same cost as 2.5 gal. bleach) - I didn't know the strength of the shock powder then, but it's 73%
I had time today, and was hoping to do through the morning, but we are having a terrible rainstorm, and I'm not sure how practical that is. I didn't skim yesterday either, and one day means a lot of leaves here (the live-oaks are losing their leaves in spring).
So I hate to be starting with such a basic set of questions, what should I do?
(BTW, my CYA might not be accurate, I followed directions, but I read on another post that murky water may make it higher and I didn't filter it - the water looks only very slightly cloudy in a filled container, but it doesn't look perfectly clean. And my eyes are not great so it was very hard to really see it.)
Thanks for any help.