Deck options

Mar 27, 2014
Imperial, CA
In the planning phase for a pool. I have some computer renditions I need to post. Right now my biggest thing is the deck material. A friend recommended cooldek because we live in the desert and the ground gets extremely hot. I mentioned this to my PB, and he recommends life deck.

Anyone have any experience with these products? My pool will be salt water if that makes a difference in longevity to the materials.

Welcome to TFP. We used a manufactured paver that has a faux travertine look. The pavers are made with a fine aggregate concrete that is fossilized calcium based rather than silica. (like the "cool" sand beaches of Cancun). They also use a white cement rather than grey. This makes for a paver that is noticeably cooler (and bearable) to walk on during a hot day. They come in shades from light grey through various beige and creams to almost a white. I live in Nicaragua and have seen these imported to/exported from Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica so I would imagine they may be available in the US as well.

Thanks for the reply. We've decided on sticking with the stamped concrete. That way it flows into the patio and it all matches. It's only 5 feet to the steps for the pool, so flip flops can be kicked off there or you can suck it up for two or three steps.

I promise I'll post pics of the proposed plans when we finalize everything. But we are going through a bit of a redesign, moving the equipment to a better place, and a few other small things. All little things I've read on this forum. And still deciding on the plaster, we're thinking stonescapes mini pebble at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.