roppy from Mesa, AZ

roppy

Bronze Supporter
Feb 19, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Hello all,
A little about me I purchased a 1975 home about 9 months ago that came with an original pool. I am new to being a pool owner and have really appreciated all the great write-ups on this forum, I have defiantly learned a ton already. I am still learning for sure, some of the things I have done so far is the bucket test to see if I am leaking water which I am not just a lot of evaporation in the AZ sun. I have had my water tested and my CYA is well over 100 so I will be draining 75% of my pool in the next few weeks. At that time I will be sanding down what looks like calcium build up in my plaster they don't spread out they just grow taller and start out white and over time go brown b/c of dirt. If anyone has ever done this before a little do's and don'ts would be great. I will attach some pic's I took of the spots both the newer white ones and the darker one. I did do the chlorine tab test and nothing changed.
View attachment 28045
View attachment 28046

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits yet? That is the key to understanding and knowing what the pool needs. Do NOT rely on Leslie's testing abilities.

That does sound like calcium scaling which is not uncommon around here where the CH rises quickly, especially if you are not careful about keeping the pH in range. I think an acid wash might work a little better that trying to sand it, but I have done neither.

Your links don't work. Host the pictures on photobucket or similar sight and then post the links here.

Welcome to the forum:wave: From what I have read about AZ and SoCal, calcium is an ongoing issue due to evaporation and the hardness of the water. Pay particular attention to the pH. The PoolMath tool will help you manage this. Another suggestion is to look into diverting rainwater into your pool (although in Mesa, you probably do not get a lot of that). But when you do, it's free and rainwater does not have calcium. Every little bit helps.