Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: roppy from Mesa, AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

roppy from Mesa, AZ

Hello all,
    A little about me I purchased a 1975 home about 9 months ago that came with an original pool. I am new to being a pool owner and have really appreciated all the great write-ups on this forum, I have defiantly learned a ton already. I am still learning for sure, some of the things I have done so far is the bucket test to see if I am leaking water which I am not just a lot of evaporation in the AZ sun. I have had my water tested and my CYA is well over 100 so I will be draining 75% of my pool in the next few weeks. At that time I will be sanding down what looks like calcium build up in my plaster they don't spread out they just grow taller and start out white and over time go brown b/c of dirt. If anyone has ever done this before a little do's and don'ts would be great. I will attach some pic's I took of the spots both the newer white ones and the darker one. I did do the chlorine tab test and nothing changed.
    Attachment 28045
    Attachment 28046
    1975, 18000 GL, Plaster never been re-plastered, 2 year Old Hayward Sand Filter, Very Old Pump made out of cast Iron, and Single Speed 1 HP motor. Mesa AZ

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: roppy from Mesa, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits yet? That is the key to understanding and knowing what the pool needs. Do NOT rely on Leslie's testing abilities.

That does sound like calcium scaling which is not uncommon around here where the CH rises quickly, especially if you are not careful about keeping the pH in range. I think an acid wash might work a little better that trying to sand it, but I have done neither.

Your links don't work. Host the pictures on photobucket or similar sight and then post the links here.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

Welcome to the forum

Is this an indoor pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to the forum From what I have read about AZ and SoCal, calcium is an ongoing issue due to evaporation and the hardness of the water. Pay particular attention to the pH. The PoolMath tool will help you manage this. Another suggestion is to look into diverting rainwater into your pool (although in Mesa, you probably do not get a lot of that). But when you do, it's free and rainwater does not have calcium. Every little bit helps.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.