Pool Remodel

Mar 27, 2014
Austin, TX
I'm getting ready to update my 30 year-old pool in Austin TX; getting bids - which led me to this great forum. In the past have done most of the repairs myself. Maybe I'm getting smarter as the years go by - this time I'm going to enjoy my morning cup of coffee and watch someone else do the job. Quite a transition for the hands-on person... Anyway, before I write the novel that puts y'all to sleep, your expert insight is most appreciated. I have a gunnite surface that I repainted w/pool-epoxy, now flaked off. Using SWG that I'm thinking of switching out to liquid chlorine. Motor: 1.5 horse/SS; thinking of using either a VS or 2 Sp. pump. Also have separate motor for Polaris cleaner - one bidder suggested changing to different model Polaris w/larger hose that runs off main pump so I could eliminate one motor. Plan to make this as maintenance-easy as possible, including water self-leveler, remote timers and auto-on freeze protection.
Any recommendations on what is the best finish here, recommended equipment, contractors used, other insights?
Thanks!
Elizabeth

If the SWG is working I wouldn't switch to liquid chlorine....It does the job of you hauling bottles of bleach.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Finishes depend on your budget and desires. Generally painting is NOT a good long term solution.

Stick with any of the major manufacturers and the equipment is basically the same.

What is you cost of electricity? If not too high and you have no special high flow needs, you are likely better off with a smaller 1HP 2-speed pump (if your current pump is in decent shape, you could just change the motor to a 2-speed.)

I would also consider eliminating the boosted pressure cleaner and either get a suction, non-boosted pressure, or robot cleaner.