Reviving old pool

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
Good morning, now that it is starting to turn to "spring" here in the northeast and temps are supposed to get above 50 I am starting to get itchy to start working outside.

Here is what I want to do and I am looking for advice.

I have an old gunite pool built in the early 70's. The pool is ok, does not leak, needs new waterline tiles and I am sure a good cleaning (this will be our first summer in house).

Around the pool there is an existing concrete deck, maybe 3 feet wide, it seems to be in good shape, although painted/stained blue. At first I thought about ripping this up and installing 1200 feet of 4x8 pavers around pool. Now I am thinking of leaving the concrete because of work to remove it (what is the best way to remove it without damaging pool), disposing of conrete and it saves me money on brick.

So the question is "Is butting the pavers to the concrete a good solution? How can I make it look good (if I can)? Would I need an expansion joint in between?

Or should I just remove old concrete, which was my first plan and if so what is the least impacting way of getting this out?

Thanks

Having trouble posting pics via manage attachements

If the concrete is in good condition I wouldnt remove it unless you just dont like it.

You can butt the pavers up to it without an expansion joint because the sand below and between the pavers is porous. You could use a smaller paver or a brick on edge at tbe transition where the pavers butt up to the concrete

karmabiker, I also want to make the patio way bigger, currently as you can see in the pictures there is the 3 foot wide existing deck and then all grass and dirt, which I dont want. There really is no place for tables and chairs except in the grass and dirt.

Willi, the concrete does seem to be in good shape besides color. so I might just keep it and butt brick to it like this pick that I saw on the web

- - - Updated - - -

nice they are still in the tourney

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.