Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dual Actuator - did i mix them up

1. Back To Top    #1

Dual Actuator - did i mix them up

I removed both the pool and spa valve electric actuators. I needed to replace some parts, re-assembled them, and now my pool and spa control panel choices (the normal 4: Pool, Sap, Fill, Drain) are out of sync with the movement of the valves. Could i have inadvertently switched the actuators. e.g. the one for the spa i put on the pool valve and vice-versa? I didn't think it mattered, but can't seem to re-syhnc things, so perhaps i just did a whoops. Any help would be great. All 4 of my valve options i can work, i am just mentally mapping them. So SPA Fill = Drain, SPA Drain = Fill, Spa = Pool, and Pool = Spa. Any thoughts about the actuators would be greatly appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dual Actuator - did i mix them up

Welcome to TFP!

There is a toggle switch on the actuator that you need to flip on whichever one is wrong.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you did switch the valve actuators, flipping the switch wont fix it. You either need to remove the actuators and switch them back or open the panel and switch where the actuators plug into the board.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

A few possibilites here.

1- the actuators have them same internal cam setting and you just got them flipped. Jason's solution above will fix this.
    2- the actuators have different cam settings internally - Neitor solution abouve will fix it, you need to swap them back or change the internal cam setting
    3- during reassembly the internal cam setting got monkeyed up. - you need to open them back up and get the internal cam setting to what it should be and subsequently set the reversal switch correctly.

What brand is your equipment? (filling out your sig line is a big help here)
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    If you did switch the valve actuators, flipping the switch wont fix it. You either need to remove the actuators and switch them back or open the panel and switch where the actuators plug into the board.
    Ah good point. I made some pretty big assumptions: that the wires were also removed and plugged back into the correct spot and that the cams were set to the same amount of rotation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I made some pretty big assumptions.
    Me too!
    Let me (try to) clarify this as all our replys could appear to be contradicting themselves. They did to me, but that's a different deficit.

If the parts you were replacing required you to disassemble the stem, like if you were replacing gears, then yes you may have gotten the cams out of position when you reassembled. Quick way to check this.

When the valves rotate now, are they stopping squarely on the ports or at the same positions they used to, when rotating to that spot (we know they are out of sync). If yes, then refer to post #3 (mine).
    Or do they stop at positions that they never have before? If yes, then refer to post # 4 and re adjust.

The reason you cant just flip the switch and must swap the actuators back is because:

When you are in service and hit the "Spa drain" button, from having it in "Pool", only the suction side actuator should rotate (the one nearest, or in front of the pump) from pool to spa. When you hit the "Spa fill" button from having it in "Pool", the return actuator (the other one) will be the only one to rotate from pool to spa.

Does any of this make sense?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.