Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to measure volume of vessel without knowing dimensions

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Best way to measure volume of vessel without knowing dimensions

What is the best way to measure the volume of a vessel without knowing the dimensions of the vessel?

I was thinking of adding calcium chloride and measuring the increase. I would use an extra large test sample to get more precise results. Then I could correlate the test results to the dosage requirements on the container of the calcium chloride.

Any better way to do this?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to measure volume of vessel without knowing dimensions

There is precision error in any test. I would not add any chemicals for the sake of coming up with a volume unless you actually need the chemicals.

You can get a general trend over the course maintenance by using PoolMath and testing after any chemical addition to dial in the pool volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What do you mean "without knowing the dimensions of the vessel"? Why don't you just measure it? Here are some suggestions if the shape/depth is complex and not a standard rectangle or square:

1. Find the pool builder and ask them.
    2. Check local permits/records, if they don't have volume they will often have sq. footage.
    3. Break up sections of the pool into reasonable rectangular sections and measure volume for each section then add them together. If you want to get crazy like I did, use some graph paper and draw the pool to scale, then do your section measurements. Do the best you can to get close, but feel okay if you're inaccurate. After you do that you'll be able to move the estimate up/down through chemical maintenance and Pool Math as jblizzle suggested. I got within 1,000 gallons upon my graph paper method which was only 7% off after I refined it. Even 7% is somewhat immaterial to the Pool Math calculations.
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
    they will often have sq. footage
    Do you mean the square footage 2 dimensionally or 3 dimensionally?

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Measuring with chems can be tough especially with chlorine because it is not always the labeled strength. Dry chemicals is a little easier but you need accurate measurements which is not always possible with test kits.

The following method gives both surface area and volume which can be useful when you need to replace some water because you can calculate the drain depth.

Using either the house water meter or hose meter take a before reading then add enough water to the pool to raise the pool level 1" then take an after reading to get gallons per inch. Some house meters are in cu-ft already so you may need to take that into account.

Surface area (sq-ft) = gallons per inch / 7.48 * 12 = cubic feet per inch * 12

To get volume you can estimate the average depth by just taking the average of the shallow end and deep end. Depending on the type of pool and layout, you may need to adjust the depth due to stairs, benches and sloped walls. My adjustment was about 25% off the average depth (6 ft -> 4.5 ft) but I have fairly large stairs and a couple of benches.

Volume (gallons) = Surface Area (sq-ft) * Average Depth (sq-ft) * 7.48

The surface area is fairly accurate but the average depth less so but you can then confirm/modify using the chem method when available/accurate. Over time, you should be able to narrow it down further every time you add chems.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

What I mean is, do pool builders and plasterers measure the square footage by the horizontal plane over the vessel or the actual surface area of all the surfaces that touch the water?

7. Back To Top    #7

Most of the ones I have run into measure the linear feet at the top of the pool wall and then use simple approximations of everything else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 09659 View Post
    What I mean is, do pool builders and plasterers measure the square footage by the horizontal plane over the vessel or the actual surface area of all the surfaces that touch the water?
    I think it would depend on which you were interested in.

If I were a plasterer, I'd be interested in the total square footage that contacts the water because that would determine how much plaster I have to purchase and how long it would take to lay that plaster down.

If I were a pool cover salesman, I would be interested in the square footage defined by the horizontal plane over the vessel.

Neither of those are measures of volume, which is likely what the homeowner is most interested in for filling and chemical additions.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Most of the ones I have run into measure the linear feet at the top of the pool wall and then use simple approximations of everything else.
    This, and or square ft of surface is what Pool Builders seem to use. Mine did, and others al talked to about other things say for plaster only asked me for this information.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 09659 View Post
    Do you mean the square footage 2 dimensionally or 3 dimensionally?

Thanks
    Square footage of the surface area. This is a good site that I used to measure my irregular pool (see bottom-most portion). Again, was okay to get close then refine through Pool Math when adding chemicals.

http://www.poolandspachemicals.co.uk/volcalc.htm
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

11. Back To Top    #11

This link may be helpful: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ng-Pool-Volume

If the water needs more hardness and you can increase it safely, the formula number for adding 77% calcium chloride flake is 82,000.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Thanks for the explanation.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Internal Area =

Average Width multiplied by Average Length

plus

Perimeter multiplied by Average Depth

14. Back To Top    #14

"Perimeter"? That doesn't sound right.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Internal Area =

plus

This formula is actually surface area of the pool.
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator
    Small water feature, Water slide. Poolvergnuegen 2WD suction cleaner.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by whatsthispoolthing View Post
    This formula is actually surface area of the pool.
    That doesn't sound right either. Depth has no bearing on surface area.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Semantics: the meanings of words and phrases in a particular context.

Surface Area =

Internal Area =

plus

Volume =

Average Width multiplied by Average Length multiplied by Average Depth

18. Back To Top    #18

I see, internal area is a rough approximation of the surface area that needs to be plastered. More specifically, the area that needs to be plastered if the pool is a rectangular prism (which pools aren't).