Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer piping question

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer piping question

I was looking at the skimmer the PB plans on installing and noticed that it has a 2 inch connection as well as an 1.5 inch connection. Are both of these used???
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer piping question

Generally one is run to the pump and the other is either capped or connected to the floor drain (not ideal ... better to run the floor separately to the pump as well) or connected to an equalizer line below the skimmer (minor safety feature if the pool water got too low to protect your pump).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. I upgraded to 2 inch pipe and want to make sure I get the 2 inch, lol
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

Just so you know, having reducers down to smaller fittings is common and will not have a large impact on flow rate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I used the 2" pipe, I then hooked a 2" adapter to the 1.5" connector and ran a pipe to that one as well and capped it at the pad. Cheap insurance in the case the one line breaks.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for the replies.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    I used the 2" pipe, I then hooked a 2" adapter to the 1.5" connector and ran a pipe to that one as well and capped it at the pad. Cheap insurance in the case the one line breaks.
    That's not a bad idea. However, if the line is there, I would connect it now. That will give you two benefits:

1) Lower head loss from the skimmer. And
    2) The unused pipe won't potentially build up bacterial biofilms that could migrate to the pool.