Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1" - 1-1/2" - 2" foam bottom for AG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question 1" - 1-1/2" - 2" foam bottom for AG pool

What thickness should the foam sheets be for an AG pool. I was thinking about using 1" foam sheets so I would have an additional 1" of water depth. I am installing a unibead (J hook) liner. The pool wall is 54". Will the liner stretch the additional 1" when it is filled? Recommendations and thoughts please.

Thanks
    Gerry
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1" - 1-1/2" - 2" foam bottom for AG pool

um, theoretically you would have LESS water, not more. but I don't think it would be significant in reality. for me personally, I found the thick foam to be a little strange and would probably use a simple gorilla pad next time, at least with an intex on dirt. I notice also that dirt and small "stuff" is wedging down between the bottom of the pool and the tarp/top of the foam. with a walled AG pool and cove, that shouldn't be an issue.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pv2 View Post
    um, theoretically you would have LESS water, not more. but I don't think it would be significant in reality. for me personally, I found the thick foam to be a little strange and would probably use a simple gorilla pad next time, at least with an intex on dirt. I notice also that dirt and small "stuff" is wedging down between the bottom of the pool and the tarp/top of the foam. with a walled AG pool and cove, that shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks Pv2.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I used 3/4" and seems to work well so far (1 year)

Index 16' X 48" Sand Filter and SWG unit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder_Pounder View Post
    I used 3/4" and seems to work well so far (1 year)
    Thanks Flounder_Pounder

Gerry
    Gerry

6. Back To Top    #6

I used 3/4" extruded insulation sheets. LOVE it. If you use it, make sure it's "extruded insulation" and triple tape the seams so it doesn't shift. I love the feel and the extra protection for the liner.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Taterfink.
    I used 3/4" extruded foam and did triple tape all the joints. Seems that to be really smooth. Installing the liner was very easy.
    Gerry

8. Back To Top    #8

Wonderful!

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

9. Back To Top    #9

When I asked the question about the thickness of the foam floor it was because I was concerned that the liner would not fit if I did not put in the full 2" base - the same thickness as the sand base. But after much needless worry I could have used 1/2" foam without any problem or even a 1/4" bottom. I used the Gladon foam cove and it was a dream. The transition from the bottom to the sides is very uniform and smooth. I got this one because it's dimensions of 4"H x 4"W x 48"L was larger than some of the cove pieces I found when I was researching. Several companies listed the dimensions of their product as 2"H x 2"W x 48"L. It was self stick and it worked wonderfully. I taped each joint on the cove and also taped between the foam bottom and the cove.
    Gerry