Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Chlorination for steel/aluminum body pool

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Salt Chlorination for steel/aluminum body pool

Hi All

I'm working with a commercial client that would like to convert their present Bromine system to a Salt Chlorinated system. The pool is indoor around 25,000 gallons and a Steel/Aluminum body with a tiled floor. I'd like to get the general consensus if it okay to add this system to a metal pool because of the corrosion factor, any thoughts?

Thank James

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Chlorination for steel/aluminum body pool

Assuming you mean that there is a significant amount of steel directly exposed to the water, that depends on the grade of steel used. It takes a fairly high grade of steel to be safe around salt water. Unless you are confident that the steel is a high enough grade, I would avoid using salt water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

We have a customer that we built his indoor pool. It is stainless steel wall cocrete floor(he does scuba diver training) and when we added the swg it started "rusting" the stainless. We didn't bond enough for the added stray current. The pool is bonded just needs more to be okay.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have thought of adding extra sacrificial elements to the pipework but my fear is that the damage due to corrosion will be beyond repairs. I may pass on this project.