Natural Gas Heater Question?

Feb 26, 2014
Staten Island, NY
Hey guys, I think i already know the answer but why not. I have a 12 x 20 AGP being installed in about a week. Im thinking of getting a heater but my problem is my only available gas line is my BBQ line and its only 1/2". I was looking at the Hayward H-series 150K BTU, Do you think its possible to run it off the 1/2" pipe?

Another possibly stupid question, is it possible to step up to 3/4" pipe from the BBQ line, Would that accomplish anything.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

It all depends on the distance and the pressure. At standard pressure, a short run of 1/2" will work, but given typical yard dimensions you probably need something larger. We have 2" for our 60 foot run for a 200,000 BTU heater at standard pressure, but for our 40 foot run to a 300,000 btu generator at 2 psi we have 1/2".

You most likely will need to have a larger line run from the meter. If you have a 1" line in the house (most likely do) then you could come off of that with the 3/4". I managed to get a 100,000 BTU to run on a line that is sized down to 3/8" ID but that is really pushing it. I clocked the meter and it is right at the 100,000 mark. What does the manual tell you to use? Stepping up from 1/2" to 3/4" won't do you any good as the flow will be controlled by the 1/2" line

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The solar heating possibilities between Alaska and Arizona are a little different ... being a little more specific than "United States" would help. ;)

Your BBQ supply does not sound like it was designed to handle that many more BTUs. You would need to know the pipe sizes and lengths all the way from the meter to be able to calculate if you have excess capacity available, but I doubt it.

The pipe runs are 3/4" from the meter to my kitchen stove which is probably like 20-25'. My BBQ line is tapped off that line in 1/2" pipe underground to my BBQ which is about another 35' from the stove. Then it would be about another 40' straight run to my Pool.

You would also need to know the BTU rating of your stove and BBQ. Pipes are generally sized assuming everything is running.

I can not recall all the details how to do this sizing off the top of my head, but looking at a table your first 20' run of 3/4" pipe is only rated to ~192,000 BTUs .... likely your stove and BBQ are already exceeding that.

A 60' run from the meter to the BBQ assuming all 1/2" is only rated to about 50,000 BTUs and your BBQ alone has is likely well above that.

EDIT: This is a very conservative method of sizing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.