Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Steps

Good morning, I have a question, why is it so hard to decide on steps on an above ground pool? Just when you think you have found one that might work for you then you read a bad review . Is there a good way to decide on steps, they either float , promote algae, etc I just want a set of steps that are sturdy and will stay put, any help?
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Steps

"Floating" can be handled by pvc pipe filled with sand/concrete and capped off or the "arms" that some come with bolted to the decking surface (wood) or both. Algae promotion due to lack of circulation can be helped by drilling several more 1 inch holes in both sides of the step. I would suggest wedding cake steps with a handrail at least on one side.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great question because I am also looking for step and really want to go with wedding cake steps. Any recommendations on brands/models of wedding cake steps?

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not have a deck so I have had these steps for almost two years. No algae, no floating, no issues. They were easy to put together, water goes inside to add weight, and they are fairly sturdy for average size people and kids.

http://www.amazon.com/Confer-Plastic...rds=pool+steps
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

I just know there have been a few posts about folks not being happy with the so-called "Mighty Step". Seems to be pretty flimsy.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

http://www.amazon.com/Confer-Plastic...AN7DP6ST5S8Z5F

Discontinued but it got great reviews.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a deck so i need some that will work with a deck , i had looked at this set of steps and they are made by confer, does anyone have them and if so how do you like them?
    http://www.amazon.com/Confer-Curve-A...fer+pool+steps
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been very happy with these steps. No problems with algae, and they are secured to the deck on one side with a brace so haven't floated. Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step
    medium.jpg
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

9. Back To Top    #9

I have the Confer-Curve Steps mentioned above. They work extremely well and i couldn't be happier. I got this step due to the length of each step. My daughter is not quite tall enough for the depth of our pool and she has a number of friends who are shorter as well. These steps work well as the kids can share a step and not be crowded which can lead to pushing. The treads in the steps were used as handrails by some of the kids as they floated. These steps did float, even after a drilled some larger holes to get some additional water in them to help keep them down. I couple of PVC tubes filled with sand solved the problem and they stayed put all summer. My pool is round and I have two returns so the water circulates well - had no issues with the algae growth.
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I just know there have been a few posts about folks not being happy with the so-called "Mighty Step". Seems to be pretty flimsy.

I have the Mighty Step and I've owned the Wedding Cake Steps and I'll give my review really quick...

The Wedding Cake Steps, although very roomy for growing young kids to play with, floated. I had to use a rope to actually secure the steps with weights to a post under the deck. These steps also rubbed my liner bare. The steps were also a breeding ground for algae. Now unless you wanted to detach the steps from the deck and the whole 9 yards to clean out behind them every week or so, be my guest. I will give the wedding cake steps a 6 out of 10 for functionality only because they were great for lil swimmers to play on.

The Mighty Steps are not flimsy IMO. They were a lil tough to put together by myself and they need weighted down. Don't they all?!!! Really... it's plastic in a big bowl of water... it's going to float! They came with little feet on the bottom and the sides are slatted so water rushes through via circulation from pump/filter. Not one time did I have an issue with algae build up with these steps. I bought the 38" wide steps so that someone could sit on the steps and someone could get into the pool at the same time if needed. My granddaughter could also play on the first couple steps while being attended too, the same as the Wedding Cake Steps except that the Wedding Cake Steps get bigger as you get deeper. I would give the Mighty Steps an 8 out of 10 due to algae not growing under them, the kids can still play on them and they are nice to sit on and relax and another person can still use them to enter and exit the pool. I hope to be able to attach them to a deck soon and that is why I didn't give them a 10 yet.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I've had the wedding cake steps and the confer-type steps. We had the wedding cake steps at our previous home where we had a 24 foot round metal wall pool in a deck. They tended to float, so we piled three plastic bags of play sand inside and it did a fine job of holding them in place. At that time, we had five grandchildren younger than 5 years old, so it was nice to have a place for them to sit when entering and exiting to the deck. BUT THEY WERE AWFUL TO CLEAN. We now have steps more like the confer brand with an added safety feature that allows the steps to swing up and make the pool accessible. This works well at our new home, where we have a 24 foot Intex (who knew a cheap pool could be so good!) and no surrounding deck. AND THE STAIRS NEVER, EVER get algae. Both styles were appropriate for the ages of our grandkids. If you don't need seating, I wouldn't recommend the wedding cake style. Just my two cents.
    13500 gallons
    Intex 2650 Sand filter pump
    AG

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all of your replies decisions decisions oh well water has to get lots warmer before we will be able to put in!!!
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

13. Back To Top    #13

I did a ton of research as well and settled on the majestic 8000 steps. Winter craigslist deal for 150! I'll let you know how they work as soon as we put them in!!