Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Got a question! What would make the CH level in my pool go from 300+ to 200? All my other numbers look ok, except for my CH.

Thanks for the help.
    27100 gallon in ground Pool/Spa, SWG, Pebble Sheen-Aqua Blue, (All Pentair Equipment) Pentair VS Pump, Cartridge- filter, build completed Dec. 2013, Houston, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: CH

First things that pop in my mind is a leak that is masked by an auto fill line that has soft water?
    Or testing error?

Not really any other options.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Anything that replaces water will tend to lower CH, backwashing, splash out, overflow, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Test your fill water and see what the CH is. Since Blizzle mentions it, do you have a softener anywhere around? If it went down, dilution is the only way it could have.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

Another possibility is rainwater which will dilute the pool water with calcium-free water, although it would take a good amount of rainfall to lower the CH dramatically. A passing shower will have little effect. Considering the dramatic drop from 300+ to 200, it could be a combination of rainfall and one or more of the factors mentioned above.

A follow-up question...How much time elapsed from the CH test of 300+ to the current result of 200?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

2 weeks. We have had a lot of pollen and some rain. So I thought maybe it was a combination, being a rookie! So I waited and retested and it is still at 200.
    27100 gallon in ground Pool/Spa, SWG, Pebble Sheen-Aqua Blue, (All Pentair Equipment) Pentair VS Pump, Cartridge- filter, build completed Dec. 2013, Houston, Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

I also came here for this question as mine is dropping, though not so dramatically. Just my 2 cents and I see this post is old:

Typically, taps on the outside of the house are not supplied from water softener treated water. The lines to the bibs come from the water source before it reaches the softener as it's not good for lawn and garden. So you should be able to rule that out.

As mentioned above, Rain will effect as will splash-out (resulting in lower Calcium top off - as mentioned, test your tap). I was very surprised to find that my fill water (from the tap) is only 50ppm CH (and I'm in Austin - I thought we had really hard water). Mine dropped from 140 to 120 in just a couple days due to rain (but that was a couple inches of rain).
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.

8. Back To Top    #8
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If you haven't been good about keeping pH in line, the dissolved Calcium could be sticking to the walls in the form of scale. Plug your numbers into poolmath and see what the CSI is.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!