Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New DE filter install

1. Back To Top    #1

New DE filter install

My current filter is an old Atlas pa-48, leaking, rusted, and the grids are busted. I've decided to replace it and I'm thinking of a Hayward 48sq ft DE filter.

My question is this - I've been quoted anywhere from 12-1500 for replacement plus labor... I can get the filter for about $700... Is the install something that could be done myself? I'm pretty self-sufficient in terms of DIY. I've read through the instructions for the model I'm looking at and they seem pretty straightforward, just a bit intimidating with all the mentions of explosive pressure buil-up and what-not.
    Appx 15,000 gallon (odd shape) IG Plaster, Hayward DE4820 DE filter, Hayward TriStar 1.58Bhp/1.0FRHp
    Pool built by previous owner, home purchased 11/2013
    Houston, TX - 2 dogs - Palm Trees

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New DE filter install

If you have any PVC experience (or even if you do not), plumbing in a new filter is not that difficult. That explosive pressure bit is pretty overstated. If you put the band on correctly (which you will have to do every time you open up the filter for a good cleaning), then there is no danger.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!