Subpanel Conversion Question

Mar 23, 2014
Tampa, FL
Hi all,
Somewhat new to the forums, I bought my house about 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with my pool. For the past month I've been follow the trouble free pool method and things are looking up. Less trips to the local pool store and no more buying dubious chemical concoctions promising the world and falling way short.

My equipment looks to be hobbled together through the years by the previous owner and I have been doing research for a major upgrade, swcg, variable speed pump, larger filter, automation, maybe even some lighting. The question I have is about my subpanel, currently it is wired for only 110v and is run off a 30 amp breaker at the main. Is it possible to convert the panel to a 220v using the existing wiring? I read somewhere that the neutral can be wired as a second hot from a new dipole breaker? Not sure if this would work as it wouldn't leave a neutral for any 110v devices connecting to the subpanel? I only ask because the subpanel is a considerable distance from the main and copper ain't cheap.

Secondary question - In the experience of the forum, does 30 amps even give me enough headroom for a new system? If it's not enough, I might as well rewire with a lower gauge anyways.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are correct that most VS and 2-speed pumps require 230V. To wire a 230V subpanel, you need 4 wires (2 hot, neutral, and ground). Going without the neutral would not work since you would have unbalanced load due to the 115V circuits.

If you were only converting a point load (like a pump) from 115V to 230V, then you could convert the white common wire to the second needed hot and there is no need for a neutral.

My entire pool runs off of a single 20 amp 230 sub panel ... that actually gives me 40 amps of 115V compared to your 30 amps of 115V. I plan to upgrade this supply though to have more power available for lighting / outlets and possible spa in the future.

EDIT: You might be able to find a 2-speed motor that is 115V to use on your existing pump if you did not want to rewire for 230V.

Short answer "No". You are asking for trouble doing away with the neutral for a hot. Especially if your panel is not bonded.
Also, would you need the 220 for a new pump as stated? Most pools will need a 50 amp service and it will cover multiple pumps and items.
I installed a 150 amp sub panel but I am running 3 pumps, transformers and a cabana plus much more room for expansion. In truth I only needed a 100 amp.

Jason beat me to it but basically as he stated.

Most pools will need a 50 amp service and it will cover multiple pumps and items.
I think that is overstated. With a single pump, automation with SWG, and a single pool light, and a couple outlets, mine runs fine on a 20 amp panel.

Most pools do not have 3 giant pumps like you have requiring all the power ;)

Jason I see where you are coming from and agree. Was thinking multiple lighting, pumps and such. Anyways if at all possible always overkill. It is always easier to do it once then run out down the road and need to upgrade again. The actual cost difference is minimal except for your mains for wire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.