Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Subpanel Conversion Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Subpanel Conversion Question

Hi all,
    Somewhat new to the forums, I bought my house about 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with my pool. For the past month I've been follow the trouble free pool method and things are looking up. Less trips to the local pool store and no more buying dubious chemical concoctions promising the world and falling way short.

My equipment looks to be hobbled together through the years by the previous owner and I have been doing research for a major upgrade, swcg, variable speed pump, larger filter, automation, maybe even some lighting. The question I have is about my subpanel, currently it is wired for only 110v and is run off a 30 amp breaker at the main. Is it possible to convert the panel to a 220v using the existing wiring? I read somewhere that the neutral can be wired as a second hot from a new dipole breaker? Not sure if this would work as it wouldn't leave a neutral for any 110v devices connecting to the subpanel? I only ask because the subpanel is a considerable distance from the main and copper ain't cheap.

Secondary question - In the experience of the forum, does 30 amps even give me enough headroom for a new system? If it's not enough, I might as well rewire with a lower gauge anyways.
    15k gal, IG plaster, 1.5 hp SF1.1 single speed pump, Sta-Rite Posiflow 2 100sqft cart filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Subpanel Conversion Question

Do you need 220?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The variable speed pumps I've been looking at seem to require it.

- - - Updated - - -

The variable speed pumps I have been looking at require it I think.
    15k gal, IG plaster, 1.5 hp SF1.1 single speed pump, Sta-Rite Posiflow 2 100sqft cart filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

You are correct that most VS and 2-speed pumps require 230V. To wire a 230V subpanel, you need 4 wires (2 hot, neutral, and ground). Going without the neutral would not work since you would have unbalanced load due to the 115V circuits.

If you were only converting a point load (like a pump) from 115V to 230V, then you could convert the white common wire to the second needed hot and there is no need for a neutral.

My entire pool runs off of a single 20 amp 230 sub panel ... that actually gives me 40 amps of 115V compared to your 30 amps of 115V. I plan to upgrade this supply though to have more power available for lighting / outlets and possible spa in the future.

EDIT: You might be able to find a 2-speed motor that is 115V to use on your existing pump if you did not want to rewire for 230V.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Short answer "No". You are asking for trouble doing away with the neutral for a hot. Especially if your panel is not bonded.
    Also, would you need the 220 for a new pump as stated? Most pools will need a 50 amp service and it will cover multiple pumps and items.
    I installed a 150 amp sub panel but I am running 3 pumps, transformers and a cabana plus much more room for expansion. In truth I only needed a 100 amp.

Jason beat me to it but basically as he stated.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

6. Back To Top    #6

Gotcha, ok that makes sense. I guess the next step is to figure out exactly which equipment I'm going to buy to figure out the right size breaker and wire gauge to use.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mac1775 View Post
    Most pools will need a 50 amp service and it will cover multiple pumps and items.
    I think that is overstated. With a single pump, automation with SWG, and a single pool light, and a couple outlets, mine runs fine on a 20 amp panel.

Most pools do not have 3 giant pumps like you have requiring all the power
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason I see where you are coming from and agree. Was thinking multiple lighting, pumps and such. Anyways if at all possible always overkill. It is always easier to do it once then run out down the road and need to upgrade again. The actual cost difference is minimal except for your mains for wire.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

9. Back To Top    #9

I wish mine was more and eventually will likely increase it, but it is what was on the house when I bought it does what it currently needs to do.
    Jason, TFP Moderator