Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New equipment pad (cement or gravel ?)

1. Back To Top    #1

New equipment pad (cement or gravel ?)

Are cement equipment pads necessary??? I think my PB uses gravel. Just curious if I should request cement ??
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New equipment pad (cement or gravel ?)

Cement should be used. You don't want the equipment to settle from the repetitive back washing and rain

3. Back To Top    #3

Your pumps should be bolted down on a pad to reduce any vibration. On gravel they would eventually move around to the point of breaking a coupling or pipe.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree that a cement pad would be best. Mine are sitting on separate pavers which leaves me at risk for settling. I do not think that most people actually bolt their pumps down though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

New equipment pad (cement or gravel ?)

I also have mine on cement pavers. The cement pavers sit on 2B stone that I tamped down. I haven't had any settling problems as of yet. My pump is attached to a base and my filter sits on the same base. It's an AGP though. I also think poured concrete would be the way to go. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ours has been sitting on a few stacked cinder blocks for about 20 years now. We did this so we don't need to bend down to do any work on the pump. No issues not being bolted ever.

I'd say concrete as it's easier on the feet. I'm sure there will be one "middle of a swim" issue with the pump where you'll hate walking across rocks to do something with the pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Our equipment is sitting on 4" inches of 1-3" river jack which is on 4" of 1/2" grey drainage stone on undisturbed soil. Our PB generally does the equipment on concrete because that's what most people want. Our application lent itself well to the stone. He actually prefers stone for ease of access and doesn't feel it affects longevity of the equipment/pipes. The stone is round and therefore benign to step on.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

9. Back To Top    #9

A lot is going to depend on local soil conditions, I would tend to vote concrete though, and I would also tend to vote covered or enclosed shed if possible
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Thx Isaac.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I would definitely like to get mine covered. It bakes almost every hour the sun is out.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

My filter and pump are on concrete , but my heat pump is on a black plastic pad marketed(i saw one on online) just for pool equipment.it is actually pretty nice, no vibration noise, but i think it was about 35.00.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

13. Back To Top    #13

Mine is sitting on an air conditioner compressor/fan outside unit gray plastic pad. Pump was bolted once. You need to work on it/pull it-------you'll never bolt it again!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!