Deck question

mvoorn

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
Hi everyone,
We are going through the process of choosing a PB for a new home. The deck that I would love to have is pricy (travertine)!! I am struggling to like the look of the stamped concrete or stamped spray deck (cool deck), I just can't fall in love with it. A couple of questions:
Stamped Concrete: Will it decolor and crack? How often does it need to be resurfaced or treated?
Stamped Cool Deck (Spray deck): Same questions, will it decolor and crack? How often does it need to be resurfaced? Doesn't it stain 'blackish'?

On the other hand, I can get a hold of the travertine that I like from Mexico, relatively cheaper than what the pool companies are saying. However, I will have to install later.... Main question on this:
- Installing deck after pool build without it being tied to the pool, is it possible? I'm not sure how decks are installed, so I don't know if deck re-bar needs to be tied in to pool rebar!

Any suggestions on this would be HIGHLY appreciated!!!

Travertine was expensive for us but I love it! Do it! ;)

2m7t3ro.jpg

Hi everyone,
We are going through the process of choosing a PB for a new home. The deck that I would love to have is pricy (travertine)!! I am struggling to like the look of the stamped concrete or stamped spray deck (cool deck), I just can't fall in love with it. A couple of questions:
Stamped Concrete: Will it decolor and crack? How often does it need to be resurfaced or treated?
Stamped Cool Deck (Spray deck): Same questions, will it decolor and crack? How often does it need to be resurfaced? Doesn't it stain 'blackish'?

On the other hand, I can get a hold of the travertine that I like from Mexico, relatively cheaper than what the pool companies are saying. However, I will have to install later.... Main question on this:
- Installing deck after pool build without it being tied to the pool, is it possible? I'm not sure how decks are installed, so I don't know if deck re-bar needs to be tied in to pool rebar!

Any suggestions on this would be HIGHLY appreciated!!!

Aren't tile for bathrooms different from those for outdoor use? I don't want ceramic polished, because then it would be a slip-n-slide instead of a deck!! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Those look beautiful!! I think I'm like someone esle posted in here earlier... champagne taste on a beer budget!! hahaha :rolleyes:

Actually, that's why I did travertine, because even polished, it is still not slippery. But yes, that picture is tumbled, and not the same as what we used.

One thing about travertine, it is kind of fragile. Heavy items dropped on it will shatter it. I've even seen kitchens with travertine where the surface was destroyed by something as simple as a high heel with an exposed nail/brad. It's a porous surface, usually filled with an epoxy to fill most the voids. If voids are left, this is where damage occurs.

How are you finding your travertine deck after using it for a year?

I need to make a decision on decking by early next week and I am finding it incredibly stressful. We love the look of travertine, and many say it isn't slippery and holds up well, but then I find others saying it can be slippery and break easily.

We would be using 3 cm Mocha Jura Travertine from Bedrosians.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.