Cartridge filter cleaning question

Feb 24, 2013
Hello!

We built our pool last year and have been using the TFP method, aside from using pucks over the winter. I noticed recently that our spa spillover hasn't been spilling water. Instead the hot tub water was stagnant. I asked my pool builder if I could have changed a setting on our intelliflo when I heated the pool a few times over the winter, but he advised that the problem was probably a dirty filter.

We have a pentair cartridge filter. Last night I disassembled the filter and hosed off the cartridges. The only problem is that there was about 6 inches of nasty brown water in the bottom part of the filter housing that I couldn't figure how to remove. I hosed off the 4 cartridges and put everything back together without getting that nasty water out. I'm still learning how to care for my pool and and after I finished reassembling everything, I was watching some youtube videos on cleaning pentair cartridge filters. In the videos the guy was able to drain the cartridge housing completely but his setup looked different than mine.

My spa spillover is working again but I can't stop thinking about that sludge I left in my cartridge filter. Do you think it's important to disassemble everything again and get that nasty water out, or will my now clean filters clean it up for me? I just don't want a hidden source if algae, but I'm not sure if some level of yuck is okay in a pool filter. Will it affect my sparkly pool?

That water is not in the filter any more, the water has been mixed. I would not worry about it. Algae can not grow where there is no light and if you maintain FC correctly it can not survive.

What is your current filter pressure? You should always clean when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

There should be a drain port built in the filter. The Pentair filters that I seen have the port under the outlet port. It should be about 1.5" with a o-ring and unscrews from the bottom side of the filter. It would be best to unscrew the drain first before you take the filter apart for the next cleaning.

My husband things that the gross water will just be recirculated so in not going to stress myself too much for now, but I'd like to thoroughly clean it next time.

Okay here's my attempt at a pic!
21a09wl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like what leaves the filter goes to the heater and back into the pool. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.