Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter cleaning question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter cleaning question

Hello!

We built our pool last year and have been using the TFP method, aside from using pucks over the winter. I noticed recently that our spa spillover hasn't been spilling water. Instead the hot tub water was stagnant. I asked my pool builder if I could have changed a setting on our intelliflo when I heated the pool a few times over the winter, but he advised that the problem was probably a dirty filter.

We have a pentair cartridge filter. Last night I disassembled the filter and hosed off the cartridges. The only problem is that there was about 6 inches of nasty brown water in the bottom part of the filter housing that I couldn't figure how to remove. I hosed off the 4 cartridges and put everything back together without getting that nasty water out. I'm still learning how to care for my pool and and after I finished reassembling everything, I was watching some youtube videos on cleaning pentair cartridge filters. In the videos the guy was able to drain the cartridge housing completely but his setup looked different than mine.

My spa spillover is working again but I can't stop thinking about that sludge I left in my cartridge filter. Do you think it's important to disassemble everything again and get that nasty water out, or will my now clean filters clean it up for me? I just don't want a hidden source if algae, but I'm not sure if some level of yuck is okay in a pool filter. Will it affect my sparkly pool?
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filter cleaning question

That water is not in the filter any more, the water has been mixed. I would not worry about it. Algae can not grow where there is no light and if you maintain FC correctly it can not survive.

What is your current filter pressure? You should always clean when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There should be a drain port built in the filter. The Pentair filters that I seen have the port under the outlet port. It should be about 1.5" with a o-ring and unscrews from the bottom side of the filter. It would be best to unscrew the drain first before you take the filter apart for the next cleaning.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

My husband things that the gross water will just be recirculated so in not going to stress myself too much for now, but I'd like to thoroughly clean it next time.

Okay here's my attempt at a pic!

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like what leaves the filter goes to the heater and back into the pool. Thoughts?
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thoughts about what?

Is there a drain on the bottom under the exit pipe from the filter? Or maybe on the backside.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Omg, I looked closer and there is a port with a screw cap..right underneath the outlet port. thank you so much!

7. Back To Top    #7

We can't get our screw cap off so we just use our wet/dry vac to suck out all the dirty water in the bottom!
    17,000 gal. inground pool, Diamond Brite cool blue, Kreepy Krauly Legend inground pool cleaner(w/seperate pump), Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (420sq.ft), Pentair IntelliFlo vs-3050 variable speed pump, Pentair Rainbow model 320 chlorine feeder, Pentair IntelliBrite 5g LED lights (2), waterfall and 32 ft. of weeping wall (w/seperate pump), 2 skimmers, 4 drains, tanning ledge w/2 geisers, Jandy EE2500TI Heat Pump