Skimmer Question

Oct 18, 2013
Anaheim Hills, CA
I have no idea what kind of skimmer I have, so if you recognize it, please let me know.

My skimmer has a black plug which I am assuming is for the main drain. On my suction line I can only choose between pool and spa. There are no other suction valves.

I removed the black plug and placed it over the other hole (skimmer suction hole) which starved the pump.

I had read other threads about a diverter that looks like a twinkie or a spaceship. I dont have one of these.
I use a Kreepy Krawley that attaches to the skimmer.

Do I need the twinkie diverter spaceship thing?
When/Why would I need to suck from the main drain?
Do I leave the black plug in place or take it out?

Thanks!
David

Attachments

• skimmer.JPG
    skimmer.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 74
There is likely no harm in taking the plug out. You would need the spaceship float diverter which would "seal" on the black o-ring you see. That would allow you to force some suction from the floor drains.

If you have the ability, may as well use it, having a little suction from the floor can help with circulation ... of course many pools do not even have floor drains.

The other function of the spaceship is if the water level dropped below the skimmer for some reason, the pump should still draw water from the floor and not run dry potentially damaging the pump.

Got it. Thanks.
Is the space ship piece specific to each skimmer or is there a generic version I can buy?
Also, if kreepy Krawly is plugged in, isn't he acting as a mobile drain for circulation, or better to use both?
Thanks again for the quick response.

I think all the round float diverters are the same.

Yes the cleaner acts as a floor suction. How do you attach the cleaner? You may not be able to use the diverter with the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.