Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Question

I have no idea what kind of skimmer I have, so if you recognize it, please let me know.

My skimmer has a black plug which I am assuming is for the main drain. On my suction line I can only choose between pool and spa. There are no other suction valves.

I removed the black plug and placed it over the other hole (skimmer suction hole) which starved the pump.

I had read other threads about a diverter that looks like a twinkie or a spaceship. I dont have one of these.
    I use a Kreepy Krawley that attaches to the skimmer.

Do I need the twinkie diverter spaceship thing?
    When/Why would I need to suck from the main drain?
    Do I leave the black plug in place or take it out?

Thanks!
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20K, IG Plaster, spa
    WhisperFlow 1HP WFE-4
    Teledyne Laars Series One EPC-325, Pentair 2000 Series DE Filter (best guess)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Question

There is likely no harm in taking the plug out. You would need the spaceship float diverter which would "seal" on the black o-ring you see. That would allow you to force some suction from the floor drains.

If you have the ability, may as well use it, having a little suction from the floor can help with circulation ... of course many pools do not even have floor drains.

The other function of the spaceship is if the water level dropped below the skimmer for some reason, the pump should still draw water from the floor and not run dry potentially damaging the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it. Thanks.
    Is the space ship piece specific to each skimmer or is there a generic version I can buy?
    Also, if kreepy Krawly is plugged in, isn't he acting as a mobile drain for circulation, or better to use both?
    Thanks again for the quick response.
    20K, IG Plaster, spa
    WhisperFlow 1HP WFE-4

4. Back To Top    #4

I think all the round float diverters are the same.

Yes the cleaner acts as a floor suction. How do you attach the cleaner? You may not be able to use the diverter with the cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The cleaner goes into a kreepy skimmer attachment which sits directly above the skimmer basket. Kreepy attachment has 4 small holes with plugs around it and a main hose attachment in the middle.
    20K, IG Plaster, spa
    WhisperFlow 1HP WFE-4