Storage of chemicals

Jan 28, 2014
Austin, TX
I just put together a "shed" (really just a large vertical cabinet) for storing pool chemicals and equipment. But I think I read read cautions about what can be stored together (specifically, chlorine and muriatic acid, iirc), and some things that might be temperature-sensitive.

If I keep my chlorine inside the house in the laundry room, and the new shed never gets direct sun (but is still susceptible to Austin TX ambient temperatures, meaning peaks up to 105+), do I have anything to worry about for the other stuff?

Chlorine is certainly the most temperature sensitive. But sounds like that will be inside. The acid bottle vent some and will corrode any metal around (so hopefully the cabinet is not metal). You are right that you should keep any chlorine and the acid separated ... and also never mix types of chlorine together (like cal-hypo and dichlor).

What other chemicals do you have?

The shed itself is PVC, and I think the only metal in it is the brush and net.

The other chemicals I've got in there are:
  • Muriatic acid
  • Metal sequestrant
  • Water conditioner (but I emptied this one yesterday anyway)

In addition, I was thinking about storing some yard chemicals in there, like RoundUp and poison for the fire ants.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.