Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can I clean my spa with my pool suction cleaner hose?

1. Back To Top    #1

can I clean my spa with my pool suction cleaner hose?

I have a portable Sundance spa and I also have a pool that uses a suction cleaner (ThePoolCleaner) and I was wondering if I could just disconnect the cleaner and use my hose to clean the debris at the bottom of the spa, then put a little more water in the spa after cleaning to replace what has been sucked out.

If not, what type of cleaner for a portable spa works best? Thanks.
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can I clean my spa with my pool suction cleaner hose?

That could work if you can avoid getting too much air in the hose while trying to get it into the spa. OR you can get a little battery operated vacuum. OR you could just run in spa mode and brush anything into the spa drains to be filtered out.

EDIT: Oops just read a little more carefully and see it is a separate spa. I would get one of the battery suction cleaners.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That could work if you can avoid getting too much air in the hose while trying to get it into the spa. .
    Whenever I vac I always put the vac head in the water then push all the air out
    by holding the other end up to the discharge jet before I insert into suction hole...could do the same on the spa.
    Keeps pump from cavitating and likely loss of prime.
    Excuse me if this has been covered...new to the site

4. Back To Top    #4

right, but that may not be possible in this situation where the suction side would already be hooked up in the pool and no jets on in the spa. That is certainly one way to do it before you hook the hose into the suction line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I just thought of something. Is this not a good idea if I have a swg pool and my portable spa uses bromine? It would be putting bromine water back in our pool.
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, that would not be a good idea. I think a small battery operated vac would work well for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator