Stains, Gouges, Excess plaster issues

Nov 18, 2013
I've been battling with a few issues that have made getting and keeping the pool clean and free of sediment difficult for a while now, and now that I'm getting there, I'm noticing staining in the plaster.

The issue I'm having is that these "stains" seem to be little bulbs, maybe a bit smaller than a pea (though not round, they're rough) that exist on the plaster surface that are catching dirt such that even scrubbing them will not remove the dirt/staining in the cracks and crevices. I also have a few spots where the issue seems to be a gouge in the plaster, where sediment accumulates, then refuses to come out.

Is there any recommended method to even out gouges or bumps in plaster?

Gouges and bumps in plaster

This was posted in "Getting Started", then moved to "Under Construction", but didn't get any responses there :confused:

I've been battling with a few issues that have made getting and keeping the pool clean and free of sediment difficult for a while now, and now that I'm getting there, I'm noticing staining in the plaster.

The issue I'm having is that these "stains" seem to be little bulbs, maybe a bit smaller than a pea (though not round, they're rough) that exist on the plaster surface that are catching dirt such that even scrubbing them will not remove the dirt/staining in the cracks and crevices. I also have a few spots where the issue seems to be a gouge in the plaster, where sediment accumulates, then refuses to come out.

Is there any recommended method to even out gouges or bumps in plaster (and also remove this yellowish/rust colored staining?

Re: Gouges and bumps in plaster

I'll try to post some pics when I get home this afternoon, unfortunately the pics will really just show the staining, since these bumps and gouges are on the pool floor. I found them when I actually got into the pool to attempt to scrub the staining... it does seem like more have popped up over the last few weeks, but I can't be sure - like I said I've been battling sediment, and I noticed a few several weeks ago, and it seems like more are popping up now, despite the sediment situation being improved drastically since I first saw them.

I'll be getting new measurements this evening, but I did have high calcium hardness (over 400) and PH (over 8) at one point, and the pool was very likely that way for a few weeks or more when we got the home. It's now down around 250 and 7.3 respectively. My chlorine has also been fluctuating due to some issues with my inline feeder - it was around 0 at one point, up to around 2, back to 0, and now up around 4.5, which is my target.

Unfortunately I don't know how old the pool is, judging by the decking, faded brick surround, etc, I'd say it's probably 15-20 years old, but that's just a guess, I could be off in either direction.

I also see some "drainage" streaks in the plaster, under the filter return outputs and one of the skimmer cutouts... I'll try to get a picture of them, they're kind of light and the water is still a bit cloudy, so not sure they will be visible. It kind of looks like the light erosion you would get if water were draining out of those holes and down the pool wall... which doesn't make sense unless the pool was empty for a while and for some reason had water draining out of those spots. Other than that, I don't see any damage or wear on the plaster.

Last edited:

Look at these and see if anything looks familiar. Note the ones underwater may be hard to tell what's going on.

5_zpsfcac6cae.jpg

stain4.jpg

stain3.jpg

stain2.jpg

stain1.jpg

That second one maybe a bit, but not exactly - may be worth mentioning there's really just one, maybe two gouges - and they're pretty isolated. The main one is kind of a horseshoe shape, and maybe the size of the bottom of a small cup. As for the bumps, they're also just kind of here and there, not necessarily in clusters or focused in specific areas.

Also, I edited my previous post to ad some data, looks like after you responded. Thank you btw.

Sorry :oops:

As for the gouges - Panic stifled. I'm hoping that's not what it is, like I said, kind of horseshoe shaped, like you took a small cup and kind of unevenly pressed it into the plaster while it was wet. difference between what I see and what's in the second pic, in your pic the dirt is outside the gouge - in my pool the dirt is inside the gouge, outside is clean and white.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I'll post some pics later today.

Sounds like the issue is reversed. The second picture is a raised area in the pool. You mentioned some bulbs, that's why I posted this. The other pictures are areas where plaster has "left the building".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.