Aqua Rite/ r1.40 / Issues!

Feb 24, 2014
Tampa, FL
I have a r 1.40 Aqua Rite unit and it is not generating Chlorine. The Check Salt light is on the the unit reports salt is 1700. Strips show 5000, pool company claims around 4000. My initial thought was that the cell is dying.

Pool company (Just bought house so this is company that previously worked on pool) came out and stated that they couldn't get any new cells to work on the pool. They wouldn't "calibrate". Something about they should calibrate at 99000 and the cells were calibrating around 20k. No idea what that means.

They said they think the issue is the box. They can replace the box for 700. But they offered to sell me an Autopilot salt system. Regularly 950 they offered for 825.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to spend $825 but I'm also anxious to get this fixed and am not sure what to do now. Originally I was going to buy a new cell and install it myself but now it sounds like there's (maybe) trouble with the box as well. I looked up common issues with the box and am not seeing my specific situation.

I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are at this point. Not sure where to go from here. Tempted to just stick with liquid chlorine until I figure this out.

Thanks!

DK

I have no idea what they mean by "calibrate". The older AquaRite units will only work with a few of the currently sold cells, the T-15 is the only one I am sure works. Attempting to use one of the other current cells will result in problems. Perhaps they were trying to use one of the newer cells that won't work on the older units.

Personally, I would ignore what the pool company person said, and try to replace the cell myself. Even if that doesn't work, you can then replace the control box and still have only spent something around $700. Chances are the cell replacement will work, saving you a good deal of money, and even if it doesn't you will end up spending about the same.

That said, the AutoPilot units are nice. If you are not much of a DIY type, and want the pool company to do the work, upgrading to an AutoPilot unit is a reasonable path. But if you are more DIY inclined, you can probably save money doing it yourself.

Certainly maintain the FC with bleach until you get the SWG straightened out.

I have no idea what they were talking about with calibration around 20k :scratch:

For your unit you can only use the T-5 or the T-15 cells and the T-5 I think is outdated and you may not be able to find them.

I would start by pulling off your existing cell and looking to see if it is scaled up inside. If not, take the cell to a pool store and have it tested to see if it is still good.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I took the advice, got a new cell appropriate for the unit and installed it. Worked like a charm...until it shut down due to high salt! The instant salt measure from the cell matched my measure - around 5000-5100. I feel good that the new cell works fine and the box therefore is fine and that company is completely wrong.

I'm frustrated, however, because now I need to drain about 30% of the pool and refill. Being in Florida I'm very afraid of floating the pool I don't know whether to trust some other company to do the drain/refill for me, or try it myself. Either way I'm very concerned about the prospect of floating it. Also - I don't own a pump so would need to rent one. Not sure how or what to do. I've read threads here about it and it doesn't seem easy. Partially wish I'd just paid the 825 for a new chlorine system. I spent 350 on the cell and think I'll end up spending the same or more for the drain/refill. My understanding is that the Autopilot system would have put up with the high salt level.

Any thoughts or encouragement at this point? Part of me wants to give up and just use liquid chlorine like I've done the past 2 weeks. I'm so angry at the previous company for dumping so much salt in there to extend the life of the cell. That seriously has to be the stupidest thing people can do - just buy a new cell. Argh.

DK

The simplest approach in that situation is to fill at (more or less) the same time as emptying. This approach makes just slightly less efficient use of fill water, but keeps the water level close to where it is now (very close if you pay extra attention). You should be able to drain water with your pool pump, though the exact way you do that varies depending on your setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.