Bleach Prices 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got lucky, I just went back to my target yesterday and the buy 3 get one free deal was over. :( Still was able to use the 5% off, but that's not such a great deal unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious. Does Aldi, still sell 96oz of 6% Bleach?
I was at Aldi (in Houston TX) a couple of days ago and saw the 96 oz bleach for about 1.30, but it was 8.25 % which surprised me. Wish I had picked some up now that the Target deal expired.

Just stopped at the local Walmart at lunch to get some bleach. (I'd rather go to the dentist.) The Great Value bleach has changed and no longer shows the chlorine %. It makes me wonder if they lowered the %. I decided to go with the Clorox for $3.50.

Just stopped at the local Walmart at lunch to get some bleach. (I'd rather go to the dentist.) The Great Value bleach has changed and no longer shows the chlorine %. It makes me wonder if they lowered the %. I decided to go with the Clorox for $3.50.

I grab bleach every week and just checked one of my bottles. It still listed 8.25% in small print on the side, I am in Bentonville by the home office and mine gets rotated all the time so I know I have the new stuff.

I am new to this site so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I scanned the pool care methods and see that there is a focus on using chemicals commonly sold in non pool stores.

What puzzles me is the bleach choice. The Leslie's store near me sells liquid chlorine 10.5% in 2.5 gal jugs and they do a 2 for $7.99 deal seemingly all the time. Pinch a Penny does as well but not as often. So you get 5 gallons for $8.

I had assumed that buying bleach was done to save some money but that isn't the case with the prices I see on this thread. If one has no pool stores close to their home that would certainly make the grocery store bleach easier to get and maybe cheaper. Is there another reason why bleach is preferred?

I am new to this site so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I scanned the pool care methods and see that there is a focus on using chemicals commonly sold in non pool stores.

What puzzles me is the bleach choice. The Leslie's store near me sells liquid chlorine 10.5% in 2.5 gal jugs and they do a 2 for $7.99 deal seemingly all the time. Pinch a Penny does as well but not as often. So you get 5 gallons for $8.

I had assumed that buying bleach was done to save some money but that isn't the case with the prices I see on this thread. If one has no pool stores close to their home that would certainly make the grocery store bleach easier to get and maybe cheaper. Is there another reason why bleach is preferred?
First, you have an awesome price for bleach, almost unheard of value.

Bleach is preferred because unlike trichlor or Dichlor pucks it does not add cyanuric acid. Too much CYA and your FC becomes ineffective. read Pool School for an explanation. And calcium hypochlorite pucks add calcium which for many of is us a problem over time. There is no way to get rid of high CYA or high calcium other than draining water and refilling with new water.

Your bleach prices are 2-3 times cheaper than most, enjoy them

I am happy with PaP. 2.5 gals for $7.50. Higher concentration and no bottles to toss. The only negative is the jug is hard to manage when it is completely full. I'm all about getting chlorine from the pool store in a reusable container. They don't attempt to sell me anything else and I can get in/out much faster than Walmart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store in reusable gallon jugs that I get 4 at a time in a case, but they cost $3.90 per gallon so your $1.60 per gallon for 10.5% would be equivalent to $1.90 per gallon for 12.5% so a LOT less expensive than what I pay. Seems like Florida is a great area for good pricing, probably due to the large number of pools and the competition among the chlor-alkali plants (chlorine is generally produced closer to where it is used since shipping what is mostly water is a significant part of the cost).

Have you actually bought that chlorine from Leslie's? That is an almost unbelievably good price. Our Leslie's sells 2 gallons of 10% (2 1gal jugs in a box) for $7.99 -- when I first asked I thought the clerk said it was 12.5%, but when I actually bought some (on another visit) it was really 10%, same as what Home Depot has for $6.86.

Over the summer, the best price I found here was Target's 4-bottles-for-the-price-of-3 of Up&Up 8.25% bleach. It's all a simple calculation of concentration %, bottle size, and price, along with convenience and storage (there's a pool store with 4-gal of 12.5% for $8, but they're only open when I can't easily get there). I suspect areas with more pools and easier transportation access to chlorine have better pool store prices, in others the higher volume grocery/discount store supply chains result in better prices.

When I switched over to the BBB method I purchased straight 12.5% liquid chlorine from Leslie's because I had a coupon. I kind have stuck to the 12.5% gallons. Here in NJ, the cost is $5.99 per gallon + tax. There is of course a 2 gallon minimum . I have used the pricing calculator and found that bleach would be less expensive. My friend purchased 8.25% bleach at Target for $2.99 and if you purchased 5, the 6th was free. The season is over so we have to wait until next year.

Next year before the season I have to do some shopping either at Wal-Mart or Target. These are the only stores that sell straight unscented bleach. I have even called some manufacturers to determine if they will ship out enough liquid chlorine to a home and I can combine the savings with a few friends. So far no luck. At this moment I have only convinced 1 person of the BBB method, and have not found anyone to ship out enough of a quantity to make this work.

If anyone in NJ purchases 8.25% bleach at a savings please let me know. Thank you.

I have called Leslie's and I have purchased from PaP and they both sell 10.x% for $7.99 per 2.5 gallons container. The containers are pre-filled each day. There is an initial deposit required and my first time costs me $13.75. Yep, it's good to live in Florida until an escaped convict is on the loose��

Thanks all for the replies, I did not realize how much prices vary. I guess I am lucky, I bought my house nearly a year ago and there were 4 jugs (2.5g) from Pinch a Penny so I began using them once I fired the pool service. A few months later the Leslie store opened so now I alternate between the two stores. Either store will take each other's jugs and they both have 10.5%. The advantage for Leslie is it is nearly always that price where as with PaP you need to watch the ads.

This year (and last) Ace had a sale around Memorial Day holiday 10% 1gal $2.50 ... I hope they do it again in 2015. I go to the store and place order a week ahead so they can get the quantity on the truck for the right weekend. This year I got 16 cases (4gal/case) and I am down to my last case. Now hear come Winter very soon but with water temp at 69 we still use the pool for short swims. :) y'all be safe....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.