Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter size

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter size

We purchased an Intex Ultra Frame pool this past fall. It's the 14'x42" model. Of course it came with the cheap little cartridge filter. I am planning on purchasing a sand filter for it. My question is size. I know the 1200 and 1500 GPH pumps will handle it, but would there be a detriment to going with the 2650 GPH filter/pump? This is our first metal frame pool, and if it all goes well we plan to go larger down the road. With that I would prefer to buy the larger pump now as long as it is not going to cause issues with the smaller pool. From what I can tell if should be fine, and just would not need to run as long. What are your thoughts?

18x36 Vinyl lined SWG in ground pool
    Pentair Pump and Sand filter Aqua-Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Filter size

The larger pump (still not that big in the world of pool pumps) and larger sand filter are well thought of here and should allow you to grow to a bigger pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filter size

Great, thanks to the info. I knew it was not a large pump, but I just wanted to make sure it was not too large for the pool we have.
    18x36 Vinyl lined SWG in ground pool
    Pentair Pump and Sand filter Aqua-Rite SWG