Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa attached to pool problem with jets.

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa attached to pool problem with jets.

I have an attached spa on my pool with 4 jets. jets work great, yet one jet has barely any pressure. I usually run the spa without the filter in and if I take the filter basket out as well, the pressure is kind of there on the one jet with a problem, but still 20% of the strength of the other 3. If I try and block the other 3, the water just starts coming out the venturi valve. Anyone seen this or have any ideas? I'm guessing its something with the plumbing that I can't reach but maybe someone has some ideas.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa attached to pool problem with jets.

Sounds like the jet may be partially blocked? I would try pulling all the jets out (they are fairly deep in the holes and should unscrew) and see if anything is in there. Try running a bit without the jets in and maybe something will come out. At least this is free to check out.

I have 3 returns on a bench seat in my pool and one of them never has the same flow as the others. They all used to match before we got the pool resurfaced, now they don't. I have been unable to find the problem since there are not true "spa jets" in mine. Hardly ever turn them on so I do not worry about it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It does sound like a glogged pipe. Could be as simple as a small bit of loose plaster or some grit has worked its way down and is blocking the back side Or... is it possible that that one particular jet is plumbed to the pool returns or some sort of bypass so that some water always flows through the spa?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

There are no heads on the jets, I believe I never put them back on. If there is a blockage, I don't see how I could fix it without ripping up the deck.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    There are no heads on the jets, I believe I never put them back on. If there is a blockage, I don't see how I could fix it without ripping up the deck.
    How about a cheap drain snake? This one's less than ten bucks at Lowes. I'd try running it through backwards first, that is, the end without the spiral thing, from the spa towards the pump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The venturi jets are usually like 4-6" inside of the pipe. These are not the eyeballs that point the flow.

They may look like this:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

No eyeballs. Took them out long ago. If I did the snake, wouldn't it just hit the venturi?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, if you have them. Which is why I suggested trying to remove the venturi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

There is one venturi, I believe its cemented in, how would I remove it?

10. Back To Top    #10

There should be one "nozzle" for each jet (like my picture). Maybe I was not using the word venturi accurately in this case.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe before removing it try sticking a coat hanger or similar into the jet from the front to see if that dislodges anything. That has worked for me in the past.

12. Back To Top    #12

You can remove jet nozzles with a socket wrench and a long extension. Once removed, you can run the jet pump and clear any debris that was stuck behind the jet nozzle.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

There are no nozzles, its just straight pipe coming from the wall, I never put the nozzles back in when they did the diamond brite.

14. Back To Top    #14

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

I am talking about the nozzles that are deep within the spa wall and look like this:

But I am NOT talking about eyeballs that look like this:

So did you remove the eyeballs or nozzles or both?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

How do I know if I have the first picture? I definately don't have the second picture.

16. Back To Top    #16

Put some goggle on and look in the hole.

Or just get out your ratchet and extensions and try to find the right socket to fit it (looks like might be 1/2" socket)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I think most nozzles use a 9/16" socket.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

It was a 916 socket. Got the piece out, ran the jets and a dime size piece of plastic came out. Wish I knew this 10 years ago. Thanks so much.

19. Back To Top    #19

Awesome.
    Jason, TFP Moderator