Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 18 foot utra frame - are these prone to leaking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 18 foot utra frame - are these prone to leaking?

Hi, I am planning to get an Intex 18x52 ultra frame this summer, but have been a little hesitant after seeing a number of complaints about leaks and burst seams in reviews on walmart, etc. Is this really a big problem? It sounds like people on this forum have had success with these pools for multiple years. Any advice?
    Last edited by sssscary; 03-25-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 18 foot utra frame - are these prone to leaking?

Hi, welcome to TFP! As far as intex pools go, it is what it is...a cheap way to have a pool in your yard. There have been some seam failures right out of the box, but I would say the majority of the pools arrive intact. Ground prep is very important. The ground must be level, solid, and free of sticks, rocks, nutgrass, and anything else that can harm the pool. Keep in mind that most of the people who post online reviews are unhappy with the product. People who are happy with their purchase are not as likely to go back and post about how much they like it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! We bought a 20' Intex Ultra Frame used from craigslist (risky, I know lol), it did have 2 small leaks on a seam (it was 2 years old when we bought it) but a patch kit from the pool store fixed it right up and it hasn't leaked since.
    9,400 Gal 20x48 Intex Ultra Frame AG

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

This is my second intex type pool, and I've never had a problem.... I've just bought the exact same pool you are talking about, 18x9x52'..... Great pool..... Levelling the ground for it as we speak....

It's Here!!!!!! by tiffnoy, on Flickr

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the comments. I will probably go for it. I will check the box and make sure its not beat up. I will also purchase it somewhere that has a good return policy, just in case. Laceygirl, I am jealous that you can start getting ready for your pool set up already. I have to wait until the 18 inches of snow and ice melts

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I am just coming into Autumn and winter here in Australia I can't use my pool for 7 months lol

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven