Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: taylor speedstir question

1. Back To Top    #1

taylor speedstir question

I just got a Taylor SpeedStir last week and have been enjoying it so far. Iím currently using the Taylor included vial and stir bar that came with the SpeedStir itself to do my daily chlorine testing. I know the TF-100 kit specifically has a vial for only chlorine and Iím curious if I should only use the Taylor vial for chlorine as well?

I think my TF-100 vials will fit on the SpeedStir just fine and I also think the stir bar will fit in the TF-100 vials, so if having multiple vials to keep the chlorine tests separate from the other tests isnít a problem, is it a problem to be using the same Taylor stir bar for those other tests?
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: taylor speedstir question

It isn't a problem either way.
    I use the Taylor vial for all my tests but have used the TF-100 vial as well.

The reason for the separate "Chlorine" test vial is that after a while the FAS-DPD test tends to turn the vial dark. However, it's easily cleaned so I don't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

great thanks
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA mixing bottle fits on the speedstir, too!

I hunted down some more stirbars on eBay so I can run every test before I have to wash any dishes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

I hunted down some more stirbars on eBay so I can run every test before I have to wash any dishes.
    I like that idea, the SpeedStir's efficiency is still somewhat weakened by the fact that you only have one stir bar to work with. Did you buy Taylor brand stir bars or something generic that does the same thing?

6. Back To Top    #6

Great idea!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
    I like that idea, the SpeedStir's efficiency is still somewhat weakened by the fact that you only have one stir bar to work with. Did you buy Taylor brand stir bars or something generic that does the same thing?
    Generic 8mm * 25 mm.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

And you put a stirbar in it to mix the Cya solution?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

I've rearranged my TF-100 box a little so that each test is within its own compartment and everything flows in order for me. The speed stir stores right in the bottom of the box too. So to speed things up even more I ordered an extra magnetic "bean" and keep one in each vial ready to go. I use the two vials that came with the kit because I find the one that came with the speedstir difficult to read. It all works for me and testing is fast and easy.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    And you put a stirbar in it to mix the Cya solution?
    Absolutely. Half pool water, half reagent, drop the stir bar in and let it rip.

It comes out easy enough with a little shaking when the mixing bottle needs rinsing.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I've rearranged my TF-100 box a little so that each test is within its own compartment and everything flows in order for me. The speed stir stores right in the bottom of the box too. So to speed things up even more I ordered an extra magnetic "bean" and keep one in each vial ready to go. I use the two vials that came with the kit because I find the one that came with the speedstir difficult to read. It all works for me and testing is fast and easy.
    I've done a little of that too. Whatever works better I say.

Absolutely. Half pool water, half reagent, drop the stir bar in and let it rip.

It comes out easy enough with a little shaking when the mixing bottle needs rinsing.
    Ok Cool. I figured it would be hard to get out. Skippy's post above reminds me that somewhere there is a thread where people posted pics of their test rig. You may have started it Richard, can't remember.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    Ok Cool. I figured it would be hard to get out. Skippy's post above reminds me that somewhere there is a thread where people posted pics of their test rig. You may have started it Richard, can't remember.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ture-of-TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow, you are good Mr. Leebo! Thank you Sir, that is the one I meant. I will be bumping it for sure.

Perhaps I will wait until I am actually testing with some of my new pool water in the background...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: