Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap DIY Aerator

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap DIY Aerator

This I guess is kind of like the Venturi but haven't seen any of the postings with pictures like this. It probably will only work with AGP's unless you can find where to attach the PVC. In total it cost me about 3.50 at HD though I already had the tie wraps and pvc cutter.

As you can see in the picture. There is just one 3/4 T and I bought 2 of the ready cut 2 ft sections of 3/4 pipe @ HD.

I first cut one of the 2 footers in half and placed it in the T but the down piece was not even with the return. so I cut the other 2 footer longer so that it would even up with the return. With the remaining pieces I made sure that the piece pointing down would cover over have of the return jet when in the down position. I tied it up on the frame, turned on the filter and I now have some cheap aeration.

20140321_165844.jpg
    20140321_165755.jpg
    20140321_165821.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cheap DIY Aerator

I have to applaud your creativity. I love it.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Curious, I'm sure if it was mentioned throughout the ste, but why aerate?

4. Back To Top    #4

Aeration is a way to raise the PH without raising TA, most commonly used as part of the process of lowering TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Depending on your other water parameter, in particularly the TA, you can aerate to bring the ph up without having to add any chemicals to the water.

If you add chemicals to the water to raise ph, then then depending on what you put in, can greatly alter the TA.
    So, for example, if the water paramaters all all ok except for perhaps low ph, then aerating may the best option to raise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Curious, I'm sure if it was mentioned throughout the ste, but why aerate?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

It also helps lower the water temp

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Aeration is a way to raise the PH without raising TA, most commonly used as part of the process of lowering TA.
    Ahh thank you!
    New to the site and methods, chlorine/puck/strip user for years.

I am in info overload now, worst part is learning all the abbreviations lol

Phokis, upgrade looks awesome, gotta love inexpensive fixes.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Here you go, there's more but this should help....

TA = Total Alkalinity
    SWG = Salt Water Generator
    CC = Combined Chlorine
    FC = Free Chlorine
    CH = Calcium Hardness
    CYA = Cyanuric Acid

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Here you go, there's more but this should help....

TA = Total Alkalinity
    SWG = Salt Water Generator
    CC = Combined Chlorine
    FC = Free Chlorine
    CH = Calcium Hardness
    CYA = Cyanuric Acid

Thanks laceygirl !!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Very nice, not to mention ingenious, cheap and easy upgrade for aeration! Thanks for posting.
    5K gal, 16' x 48" AG Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, Intex SWG 2500 GPH cartridge filter / pump combo (copper power wires removed)

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks All! I think the tie wraps look messy but being a cable technician. I have too many times rubbed my arm across and sniped wrap and scratched the **** out of my arm.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

simple way to clean it up without snipping is to redo them(or turn them if they will) with the tails facing downward (outside of the pool). I'm sure that's obvious, but I had to mention.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    simple way to clean it up without snipping is to redo them(or turn them if they will) with the tails facing downward (outside of the pool). I'm sure that's obvious, but I had to mention.

Yeah, I thought about that but I have an almost blind Italian greyhound that loves to jump up at the pool to try and get the water now that you can hear the stream through the pvc when its on. I cant water the plants with her outside or she looses her mind trying to get at the water.

Now that I am typing this. Maybe I could just slice a pool noodle over it.