Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy water!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water!!!

I have had my pool for about 5 years and have always had a sparkling pool and have been using the BBB method from day one. I have never had a green pool but this year I didnít start adding bleach to the pool at the right time and I got a slight green tint to the water. I have since gotten my water parameters at the correct level but the water is still cloudy and has a tint to it. I cant say that itís a green tint but it just isnít as clear as it always has been.

Water parameters are as follows:
    FC-4
    PH-7.2
    ALK-70
    CYA-30

Any idea why I would still have my cloudy tinted water?

On another not, I just received my Liquidator Saturday and I am hoping to get my water cleared up and install it sometime this week. I am looking forward to not having to add bleach on a daily basis now.
    24' AG, 52" wall ,resin with 1Hp pentair pump with sand dollar sand filter. Hayward aquatrol salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water!!!

Have you tried an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? Check Pool School on how to do this.

Natural assumption is that you have a good test kit, like the TF100 or K2006. If not, please get one (the TF100 is the best buy!).

You may need to SLAM (again, pool school) to clear your water.

We would also need to see a full set of test readings to properly help you.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am new to this also, but could it be your CYA is too low? Your FC level is adequate but your CYA protects it. Most likely it's burning off before it can fully defeat the contaminants.
    30' by 54 Above Ground Pool 22000 Gallons
    1.5HP 2-Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    24' 300lb Hayward Sand Filter
    TF100 Test Kit
    Youngest Pool Enthusiast(Hopefully)

4. Back To Top    #4

I am at the lowere range of my cya at 30. But I keep my level at 4-5 for chlorine. I figured that would be enough. Maybe not though.
    24' AG, 52" wall ,resin with 1Hp pentair pump with sand dollar sand filter. Hayward aquatrol salt generator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The CYA isn't going to make it cloudy, but it will let the Chlorine levels drop. When you test the pool, are you seeing low FC levels and raising them to 4, or are you seeing a minimum of 4 each time you test.

I suspect you have algae growing, and you have just enough FC to keep it from blooming into a green mess, but not enough to kill it off. If you wait much longer, the algae might overcome the FC and bloom anyway. As recommended above you probably need to SLAM the pool. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the overnight drop test, but that will put you another day behind, and there really isn't much harm in following the SLAM procedure even if it isn't algae. Chances are it is.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Have you tried an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? Check Pool School on how to do this.

Natural assumption is that you have a good test kit, like the TF100 or K2006. If not, please get one (the TF100 is the best buy!).

You may need to SLAM (again, pool school) to clear your water.

We would also need to see a full set of test readings to properly help you.
    What other readings do you need? I have the TF 100 kit. I will check to see what my overnight chlorine loss is today when I get home and report back. I will also go ahead and buy some bleach to SLAM it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiter View Post
    The CYA isn't going to make it cloudy, but it will let the Chlorine levels drop. When you test the pool, are you seeing low FC levels and raising them to 4, or are you seeing a minimum of 4 each time you test.

I suspect you have algae growing, and you have just enough FC to keep it from blooming into a green mess, but not enough to kill it off. If you wait much longer, the algae might overcome the FC and bloom anyway. As recommended above you probably need to SLAM the pool. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the overnight drop test, but that will put you another day behind, and there really isn't much harm in following the SLAM procedure even if it isn't algae. Chances are it is.
    ^^This.^^
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Wife is at the store buying 20 gallons of bleach as we speak.

9. Back To Top    #9

Cloudy almost always means algae, unless you just dumped a load of CH increaser in.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like a little Algae still. Test that and be ready to SLAM it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I tested it overnight and the drop was .5; that being said I messed up and put bleach in after my wife did yesterday and instead of it being at 15 for shocking its at 20 and dropped to 19.5 overnight. If this isnt algae what could it be?

12. Back To Top    #12

What is your pump run time?

Also, do you know if there are any metals in your water? Cloudy points to algae, but green tint right after adding chlorine points to iron. IIRC, Duraleigh had a similar problem on opening a couple years in a row.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Have you ever had Calcium issues in the past? I wouldn't expect calcium to precipitate with your pH and TA where they are, but if Calcium Hardness is high enough, I suppose it could be possible. If you can test for Calcium Hardness that might help rule it out as a possibility.

Since you have already elevated the FC levels, I would say ride out the SLAM process. I still think you are most likely dealing with algae.

Another consideration would be your filter. You can kill off all of the algae in the pool, but if the filter isn't catching it, your pool will stay cloudy.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post

Also, do you know if there are any metals in your water? Cloudy points to algae, but green tint right after adding chlorine points to iron. IIRC, Duraleigh had a similar problem on opening a couple years in a row.
    This is a good point. My head went straight to algae, but if the water is mostly clear with a greenish or even yellowish tint to it, it very well could be iron. Algae usually clouds the water as it turns green, but metals will just tint the water. What does the backwash water look like? If its coming out rusty, you have iron.

Often a pool will be clear when you open it, but once you add chlorine it will develop a green tint. What is happening is the dissolved iron is being oxidized by the chlorine and microscopic crystals are forming in suspension. These crystals are far too small to see, but will give the appearance of a yellow or green tint to the water. They will usually filter out in a matter of a day or two.

It would probably help you to run your pump 24/7 until you get things to clear up.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post

My pump run time is at 14 hours per day, there shouldnt be any metals in my water as I have never had an issue before.
    Also the water isnt really green after adding chlorine to it, its more so just cloudy now.

Have you ever had Calcium issues in the past? I wouldn't expect calcium to precipitate with your pH and TA where they are, but if Calcium Hardness is high enough, I suppose it could be possible. If you can test for Calcium Hardness that might help rule it out as a possibility.

Since you have already elevated the FC levels, I would say ride out the SLAM process. I still think you are most likely dealing with algae.

Another consideration would be your filter. You can kill off all of the algae in the pool, but if the filter isn't catching it, your pool will stay cloudy.
    Never even tested calcium, I thought it was only tested in plaster pools. What would be my source of calsium in the water if I have a vinyl pool? I can test it this afternoon and report back. I will keep my levels elevated to see if it clears up but if that doesnt work I am thinking about a drain and refill. Not looking forward to that and shouldnt be necassary I hope.

16. Back To Top    #16

This is a good point. My head went straight to algae, but if the water is mostly clear with a greenish or even yellowish tint to it, it very well could be iron. Algae usually clouds the water as it turns green, but metals will just tint the water. What does the backwash water look like? If its coming out rusty, you have iron.

Often a pool will be clear when you open it, but once you add chlorine it will develop a green tint. What is happening is the dissolved iron is being oxidized by the chlorine and microscopic crystals are forming in suspension. These crystals are far too small to see, but will give the appearance of a yellow or green tint to the water. They will usually filter out in a matter of a day or two.

It would probably help you to run your pump 24/7 until you get things to clear up.
    My water out of my backwash is clear other than just dirty from pollen getting in the water. Yesterday I turned the timer off so I am running 24/7 until this is cleared up. I am going to add DE to my sand filter this afternoon to see if I can filter out the small particulates. As for turning green when you open up for the season, I keep my pool up and running all year since I am in the south but this year I didnt add chlorine in time after the temps started rising. Thats when the water turned cloudy. I promptly started adding chloring but it seems it hasnt been the same since.

17. Back To Top    #17

Cloudy water!!!

I think we have our answer. You didn't add chlorine in time and you started to have an algae bloom. Maybe not full blown, but the beginnings. FC levels were below the min for your CYA level.
    I would maintain SLAM level until the water clears. Adding the DE should help as sand filters take the longest to clear up the water. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Calcium could come from the source water. Certain chemicals will raise calcium levels over time. The thing about calcium is that it accumulates over time. So even if there is only a small amount coming in, it has the potential to build up. Its not all that likely that this is the problem, but I would test for CH just to rule it out.

If the greenish tint went away when you added chlorine, I'm convinced this is an algae issue. Continue to SLAM. I would suggest leaving your pump on 24/7 until it clears up. Not only do you need to kill the algae, but you need to filter it out. Longer run time = more filtering.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

19. Back To Top    #19

Sounds good!!! I will continue slamming and running the filter. Also how much de should I add to the sand filter?

20. Back To Top    #20

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast