Do clear covers work best overall?

Mar 23, 2014
S. Jersey
New to TFP, not to pools.
Since the clear vs. blue/black/etc. question hasn't been definitively answered (maybe it can't), I'd like to re-ask it, with my twist.
So I've always had a solar cover/blanket, and always blue... took what my pool folks had. Now I've been researching for a new one.
Online charts from most vendors "clear"ly (sorry) indicate that Clear covers work best overall (for heat production and retention), with a Clear/Aluminized bottom layer be best.
Ok so I know that no cover is going to take my pool from xx degrees to xx+5, 10, 15 magically, but it will certainly help some w/ heat retention, loss and possible gain.

So my question, does anyone have any quantifiable info that Clear is better that Blue/Black/Silver or that Clear/Aluminized bottom layer is better than Clear?

Appreciate input, and can't wait for Spring (keep eying the pool everyday).

Re: Does clear solar covers realy get the water warmer?

When there is no wind, and not very low humidity, having no cover adds the most heat. Generally the covers are only reducing the heat loss to evaporation.

In theory, a clear cover with a heat reflective coating on the bottom should be the best. In practice the differences are very small and no one has done careful enough experiments to distinguish the difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.