Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools!

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools!

Hi all, very VERY new here!

Just in the process of buying a house with a pool, the first pool I have ever potentially owned? Having had as quick look over the equipment, (and forgetting to take pictures of most of it!) I have a couple of questions. Apparantly I can get a remote control for this, can anyone give me an idea whether, where and/or how much one would cost?

It appears that there's a waterfall that works with one of the "Aux" buttons (not sure what the other "aux" button does), and there is a kind of spray at pool side level, with a manual valve labeled "aerator" that seems to have to be truned manually to make the spray work. Can that function be made automatic as I plan to either run the pump at night, or dailing via solar.

Regarding solar, is it possible/feasable/expensive to power the pool pump via solar panels, and thus save some $ on electricity.

Please excuse me if these are simply or obvious questions, as I know literally nothing! I will start the chlorination/PH level/chemical questions if/when we move in lol.

many thanks in advance,

Paul pool.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pools!

Just wanted to say welcome to TFP!

No dumb questions here, just the ones you don't ask. I don't know the pricing you asked about, but guessing not cheap. I don't really think solar is a viable pool pump power option at all.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm with Brush on the solar option. Even if there were solar options, it would be horrible on a motor. The constant changes in voltage would not be good. Also read pool school you will not regret it.
    30' by 54 Above Ground Pool 22000 Gallons
    1.5HP 2-Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    24' 300lb Hayward Sand Filter
    TF100 Test Kit
    Youngest Pool Enthusiast(Hopefully)

4. Back To Top    #4

Agree. Do start checking out Pool School. The primary thing you need to manage the pool is knowledge. The AbCs is a good place to start.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You can do all those things, including solar.

Are you planning on doing them yourself or paying someone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I also got a pool very recently, so I'm thinking about things.. I really like your solar panel idea. It would be awesome if it would work out, maybe I could do that too.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the welcomes getting to grips with this now I think, the pool school is great, learning a HUGE amount, and wish I had taken more pics, so I could ask more meaningful questions

As far as solar is concerned, I was looking to run solar panels, charging deep cycle batteries, and running an invereter from there for the pool pump.

I know that this won;t be an accurate answer, as the question is how long is a piece of string, but taking an average pool pump, would someone like to take a ball p[ark guess at the current draw (and voltage) I can expect to see? That would give me an idea of whether I would need a football field of panels, or whether what I can actually fit in will suffice.

Many thanks