Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt system vs. chlorine cartridge vs bbb method

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt system vs. chlorine cartridge vs bbb method

I live in Alabama and have a 18x36 vinyl pool with a salt water generating system. Both are approximately 10 years old. The control box for the swg is shot and I am not excited about buying a new one. I am looking for an alternative to the swg. I am interested in either a cartridge system like the pool frog or the bbb system. I have zero experience with either. I am interested in how the water for these 2 systems compares to that of a swg system, specifically any irritation or smell issues. I am also interested in a ball park guesstimate of the cost associated with the bbb system, the pool is used a good bit throughout the summer but just by my family(no big crowds). Any help?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt system vs. chlorine cartridge vs bbb method

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of SWG? The Hayward has as very cheap fix for the common failure.

You will not find many, if any, people here that will recommend the pool frog.

Over long run the cost of a SWG is about the same as using bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

What kind of SWG? The Hayward has as very cheap fix for the common failure.

You will not find many, if any, people here that will recommend the pool frog.

Over long run the cost of a SWG is about the same as using bleach.

Polaris auto clear plus. Local dealer said they can't get replacement boards anymore. We live out in the country and lightning has wreaked havoc on the swg, I have lost several boards over the years....ready to try something nonelectronic.

Wasn't looking specifically at pool frog, that was just one of the names that I remembered. I then came across the bbb method and am interested in both

Dyk of any "water characteristics" (odor/irritating effects) of the cartridge chlorine systems and the bbb as compared to the salt systems?

4. Back To Top    #4

Most of the "cartridge" systems help hardly at all and run the risk of causing metal stains. We strongly recommend against them.

Forum members are about equally split between using SWG and manually adding bleach/liquid chlorine. Those two approaches cost roughly the same, but with a SWG you pay up front instead of over time. SWG seems to have the best/most consistent water quality, though manual chlorine addition can come very close if you are consistent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

A properly maintained, chlorinated pool will not be irritating whether it's regular chlorine or a salt water chlorine pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem