Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ball valve between pool pump and filter in a flooded system?

1. Back To Top    #1

ball valve between pool pump and filter in a flooded system?

Hi all,

I bought a house with a pool and we are getting ready to fill it up. The equipment pad is located 10 feet below the pool water level. I think people call it a flooded system. If I need to clean the leaf basket in the pump, does water flow back from the filter to the pump? If so, should a ball valve be installed between the pump and the filter?

Thanks,

Scott
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ball valve between pool pump and filter in a flooded system?

I would recommend that you use a check valve betwen the pump and filter. The suction lines should each have a valve (I would recommend using Jandy NeverLube valves). You should also have a valve on each return to be able to isolate the equipment as needed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: ball valve between pool pump and filter in a flooded system?

Yes, I have Jandy valves in all the suction and return lines to hold the pool water while servicing the pad. A check valve may have more head loss than a ball valve in that application though...
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.