Hayward T-Cell-15 Vs CompuPool replacement. Current cell is 5 seasons old,need backup

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Am I being to cautious wanting a backup T-Cell-15, local stores are too expensive and online pricing of a Hayward T-Cell-15 is about $425 and Compupool replacement is about $75 cheaper.

The Compupool definitely wins on the cool factor, clear glass, getting to see it produce the chlorine, love that. I just wish the reviews I found on it weren't so bad, the Amazon reviews are terrible.

So unless anyone can convince me otherwise I guess I'll go with another Hayward original part.

This summer would be my fifth season, does it make sense to keep a backup at this point? It could potentially sit in the cabana unused until this one dies, through freezing (winter) and very hot summer temperatures. Otherwise would I typically have a few weeks to buy one when the one I have now starts to stop working, or do they typically just die?

I would avoid a cear cell. Sunlight could potentially set off an explosion if chlorine gas and hydrogen gas were to build up due to a system fault. Note that this is not a proven fact, but my opinion based on the chemistry. Explosions are rare, and there is not a lot of data regarding the exact cause.

I wouldn't get a new cell now. The warranty will begin running out immediately. Just wait until the old one dies. You can use bleach in the interim while waiting for the new cell.

There are other options as well. I think a few members got cells from "titanium cells" or something that. There are also refurbs available.

But like was said, your warranty may run out before even install it.

I'm going on 5 years with my Hayward, so for $425 it's hard to justify saving $75 and taking a chance with it working less years.

Good advice on using chlorine in case it dies, I'll do that and not eat any of the warranty while it potentially sits idle.

Thanks!

From my understanding, compupool was having some issues, but have recently made a big improvement and claim they have remedied them. So, FWIW, the negative reviews may be outdated. On the other hand, the new and improved one may not have enough history behind it yet to prove they are really improved.

That said, lots of folks here have the compupool, and generally, seem to be OK.

Am I being to cautious wanting a backup T-Cell-15, local stores are too expensive and online pricing of a Hayward T-Cell-15 is about $425 and Compupool replacement is about $75 cheaper.

The Compupool definitely wins on the cool factor, clear glass, getting to see it produce the chlorine, love that. I just wish the reviews I found on it weren't so bad, the Amazon reviews are terrible.

So unless anyone can convince me otherwise I guess I'll go with another Hayward original part.

This summer would be my fifth season, does it make sense to keep a backup at this point? It could potentially sit in the cabana unused until this one dies, through freezing (winter) and very hot summer temperatures. Otherwise would I typically have a few weeks to buy one when the one I have now starts to stop working, or do they typically just die?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.