Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward T-Cell-15 Vs CompuPool replacement. Current cell is 5 seasons old,need backup

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward T-Cell-15 Vs CompuPool replacement. Current cell is 5 seasons old,need backup

Am I being to cautious wanting a backup T-Cell-15, local stores are too expensive and online pricing of a Hayward T-Cell-15 is about $425 and Compupool replacement is about $75 cheaper.

The Compupool definitely wins on the cool factor, clear glass, getting to see it produce the chlorine, love that. I just wish the reviews I found on it weren't so bad, the Amazon reviews are terrible.

So unless anyone can convince me otherwise I guess I'll go with another Hayward original part.

This summer would be my fifth season, does it make sense to keep a backup at this point? It could potentially sit in the cabana unused until this one dies, through freezing (winter) and very hot summer temperatures. Otherwise would I typically have a few weeks to buy one when the one I have now starts to stop working, or do they typically just die?
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward T-Cell-15 Vs CompuPool replacement. Current cell is 5 seasons old,need ba

I would avoid a cear cell. Sunlight could potentially set off an explosion if chlorine gas and hydrogen gas were to build up due to a system fault. Note that this is not a proven fact, but my opinion based on the chemistry. Explosions are rare, and there is not a lot of data regarding the exact cause.

I wouldn't get a new cell now. The warranty will begin running out immediately. Just wait until the old one dies. You can use bleach in the interim while waiting for the new cell.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward T-Cell-15 Vs CompuPool replacement. Current cell is 5 seasons old,need ba

There are other options as well. I think a few members got cells from "titanium cells" or something that. There are also refurbs available.

But like was said, your warranty may run out before even install it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm going on 5 years with my Hayward, so for $425 it's hard to justify saving $75 and taking a chance with it working less years.

Good advice on using chlorine in case it dies, I'll do that and not eat any of the warranty while it potentially sits idle.

Thanks!
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

5. Back To Top    #5

From my understanding, compupool was having some issues, but have recently made a big improvement and claim they have remedied them. So, FWIW, the negative reviews may be outdated. On the other hand, the new and improved one may not have enough history behind it yet to prove they are really improved.

That said, lots of folks here have the compupool, and generally, seem to be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstead View Post
    Am I being to cautious wanting a backup T-Cell-15, local stores are too expensive and online pricing of a Hayward T-Cell-15 is about $425 and Compupool replacement is about $75 cheaper.

The Compupool definitely wins on the cool factor, clear glass, getting to see it produce the chlorine, love that. I just wish the reviews I found on it weren't so bad, the Amazon reviews are terrible.

So unless anyone can convince me otherwise I guess I'll go with another Hayward original part.

This summer would be my fifth season, does it make sense to keep a backup at this point? It could potentially sit in the cabana unused until this one dies, through freezing (winter) and very hot summer temperatures. Otherwise would I typically have a few weeks to buy one when the one I have now starts to stop working, or do they typically just die?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!