Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black and White Stains?

1. Back To Top    #1

Black and White Stains?

Hi All,

Just became owner of this pool approx 6 months ago, so unsure of the chemistry history. There are stains? that have been on the bottom ever since I've owned it -- I think that these are just cosmetic and am looking for verification. I'm also wondering what they are, and if it can be fixed.

I uploaded a (not very good) photo of the black stain, I think it might just be wear the pebbletec is worn down? Ignore the pool cage shadows.
    I have photos of the white spots but its too large for upload -- the are three of them quarter sized in my spa.

I've tried brushing, does nothing. Haven't had a chance to look at them up close underwater.

Thoughts?
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black and White Stains?

Hard to say. I think it's more likely to be black algae than worn pebble. It's warm enough to swim in Florida, right? Hop in there and see if the black streak is a bunch of little fuzzy green-black bumps.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you us any copper or sliver based algaecides?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I never have, but hard to know what's been done in the last 9 years. I don't think it's algae, FC is 6.5 and CC is 0.
    Do you think it's a metal stain? Anything that can be done?
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

If it is algae it will brush off, or at the very least some of it will brush off. It looks more like metal staining to me, but it is always difficult to tell from photos. If it is metal staining, black stains are some of the most difficult to remove.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School