Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intellichlor problem revisit

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intellichlor problem revisit

My Easytouch-Intellichlor-Intelliph combination worked flawlessly for approximately 8 months when the pump on the Intelliph lost a roller.

I replaced the pump and noticed, a couple weeks later, it quit working again. However, this time it wasn't the Intelliph but the Intellichlor/Easytouch reporting my salt was too low.

Like a dummy, I added another bag of salt with no change in the salt status on the Intellichor/Easytouch. Upon disassembly I found the Intellichlor spotless but cleaned it anyway. With no change I decided to change the flow switch. Low salt warning on the Intellichor remained.

I visually checked the connections and even hooked the Intellichlor directly to the Easytouch with no improvement.

My salt strips are reporting salt levels at 4800. The Easytouch says 1650. Water temp is 72

I don't want to condemn the Easytouch (or the Intellichlor ?? yet).

Anyone have insight on how this part of the system works? I've read that the Easytouch reads the conductivity of the flow switch. Is this something I can check with a meter? Anyone have the electronic diagram of the Easytouch? Would a Intelliwand be useful in diagnosis? It's only $100.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intellichlor problem revisit

I really don't think this has anything to do with the flow switch. This sounds very much like a cell that is old/worn out. Admittedly, that shouldn't happen in 8 months, but the symptoms match exactly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was under the impression the flow switch and salt sensor were part of the same unit.

It's not my nature to just throw parts at a problem. And $500 is an expensive guess.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    Waterway spa blower

4. Back To Top    #4

Take this with a grain of salt and make your own decision, but I found strips gave me wildly different results than what my SWG reported. The Taylor drop test is more in line with what the SWG says, and it is much closer to what I calculate I have added to the pool. The reason I won't say to just go ahead and order one though is because the test kit is not inexpensive.

http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

Do you not have any warranty on that equipment after just 8 months?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

The flow sensor and temperature sensor are one piece that can be replaced as a unit, but the salinity sensor is part of the main cell assembly and can't be replaced separately.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll take your word but that description runs counter what I've read, in other threads, on this forum. I guess I could purchase another cell and have a backup if I can get this one repaired or replaced.

What does the Intelliwand do? Would it help in diagnostics in the future?

We don't plan on moving any time soon.

Do you not have any warranty on that equipment after just 8 months?
    Most likely. I've never been one to take advantage of a warranty. Even my vehicles I repair myself. Heck, I built the pool myself.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    Waterway spa blower

7. Back To Top    #7

A couple of people have posted some of the reports you get from the IntelliWand, for example here. Searching for IntelliWand should turn more of them up. I don't think it would be much help here, though there is a chance that it would give a critical clue.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bigdav160 View Post
    I've never been one to take advantage of a warranty.
    Not taking advantage of a warranty is kind of an expensive way to go, don't you think?
    Don't think the wand will help you here either. I think i have used mine half dozen times in ten or so years. They are more for techs than home owners IMO.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

9. Back To Top    #9

Intellichlor warranty is 1 year. 3 years when part of a full pentair system
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Just for info...

Purchase three or more Pentair products and get three years. Restrictions are: One item must be a filter + one item must be a filter pump.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not taking advantage of a warranty is kind of an expensive way to go, don't you think?
    In this case it certainly is.

I bought a new IC40 today. Installed it.

Same problem. The Easytouch says the salt reading is 1750 and my strips tested the salinity to 4800
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    Waterway spa blower

12. Back To Top    #12

That doesn't sound good. Did you give it 24 hours to accumulate a new reading after installing the new cell? A newly installed cell takes a while to give a valid reading.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by bigdav160 View Post
    In this case it certainly is.

I bought a new IC40 today. Installed it.

Same problem. The Easytouch says the salt reading is 1750 and my strips tested the salinity to 4800
    I bought a tube of strips-- used one, found it too hard to read to get a precise measure. Immediately ordered the taylor test kit! Now I can trust the test.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Salt reading is the only thing I get tested at the pool store since I just do it beginning of the season
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Modawg2k View Post
    Salt reading is the only thing I get tested at the pool store since I just do it beginning of the season
    I had two different pool stores test me salinity using the same type electronic tester. The first was to check my salinity level before I added salt. They obviously were off by about 500 ppm low. The second was after I added salt based on what the first said. Wrong again!!! This time by about about 1000 ppm low. I ended up 500 ppm higher than recommended by the manufacturer.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: Pentair Intellichlor problem revisit - I am an idiot

Took my water to the pool store and it tested at 1800

I added three bags of salt and now I'm makin' chlorine. I don't know what's wrong with my salt strips (TFT kit) but I'm going to try some different ones.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    Waterway spa blower

17. Back To Top    #17

I know this is an old thread but I mistakenly compared my test strips to the chart on the instruction manual and the reading was way off. it wasn't until I realized that it said sample only in the background that I realized I should have been checking against the chart on the tube. when I did that it was more in tune with ic40 reading.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5