Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement for Pentair MiniMax NT

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement for Pentair MiniMax NT

First time poster!

I've got a Pentair MiniMax NT that's showing me an E04 error (I know, call my pool guy) I know that error is a fan issue but this heater has been going sideways for the last few months (as in, not heating things up.) I'm afraid it might be time for a replacement...but I don't think that Pentair makes the minimax any more.

Any suggestions for a replacement heater? I've got a 30x20x7 (at the deep end) salt water pool with a big jacuzzi, Jandy control unit and a desire to heat the hot tub up quickly. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement for Pentair MiniMax NT

Well, if you get the error fixed, you might find that your heater works perfectly

If you want to replace it, you definitely want a 400k BTU model, and all the heater brands seem to work well.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I wouldn't say "Call your pool guy" as he's probably not the best versed in fixing your issues. I would rather say, hire a gas pool heater professional. Yes I am biased.

As for a new heater, you will find here that Raypak/Rheem is a quality unit to purchase. how "quickly" do you think the hot tub should heat up?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

My "pool guy" also services the heater, filters, and the rest of the setup (he seemed to come with the house.)

He took the fan unit out - it was rusted through. He's recommending either I replace the fan for $400 or get a whole new unit (MasterTemp 400k BTU model) for $2500 installed. I'm leaning towards a full replacement, since the main unit is almost 8 years old.

Last year the hot tub would take 45 minute to an hour to heat up. Anything faster than that would be an improvement. Hoping for about 20 minutes.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by thebfce123 View Post
    I don't think that Pentair makes the minimax any more.
    Thank god!

Get a 400K Raypak. It may hurt initially, but you will be glad in the end.

Whoops, almost forgot. If 400K is going to be a bigger BTU, make sure your gas line can handle the increased demand.
    Last edited by Pool Clown; 03-27-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Decreased gray matter.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.