Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Purity?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Purity?

We are working on the pool. Getting ready to install the CircuPool SI 45 Plus. I have noticed CircuPool requires salt to be 99% pure. I've been looking at salt where ever I am shopping this weekend. Sam's has Morton salt, it says it is for swimming pools with salt water systems($5.76/40 lb bag). Leslie's (I was there trying to get a new gasket for the pool light) has salt for pools($9.86/50 lb bag) WOW. I've looked over both bags and can't find purity information on either one. We asked the guy at Leslie's, if the supplier ever states the purity level and he said NO. Is this salt they are selling really good or bad? I don't know where to check next. Where else can a person buy half a pallet of salt? What do you guys out there do?
    IG Gunite pool. 30,000 gallons. Hayward type sand filter. Circupool SI 45 salt system.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Salt Purity?

Any pool salt will do. But you can also use water softener salt which is usually much cheaper than pool salt. Just make sure you get the salt without any additives. Morton has pure water softener salt in the blue bags that is over 99% pure.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Pool salt is normally 99.5% pure. Solar salt sold for water softeners is also usually 99.5% pure. This is most certainly specified by the salt company, and usually labeled on each bag of salt as well (for either pool or water softener salt).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

You can get both pool salt and softener salt at Lowes and Home depot too, prolly Sams and Costco, but I dont go to Sams or Costco, so I haven't actually laid eyes on it there. Lowes and HD have pallets of it. Walmart carries pool salt but its hit and miss on how much they have on the shelf.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!